Past time for me to upgrade - need to do it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toddburch, Sep 10, 2013.

1. toddburch macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac Pro (circa 2006) with two hard drives. The first vol, 500GB, that came with my Mac, named "Macintosh HD", has Tiger installed. My "Leopard" volume, a 1TB drive, got Leopard installed on it when I installed the drive.

I can boot with either vol when I start up. I haven't used Tiger in a few years.

I do notice that iTunes and iPhoto cause the Mac HD to spin every now and then when running Leopard. I have "user data" on both volumes.

What I want to do is move up to Mountain Lion. I have a Snow Leopard CD, but haven't bought a copy of Mountain Lion yet.

What process would I follow to get rid of Tiger and Leopard and then just have the two volumes available for use with Mountain?

Thanks, Todd

2. Bear macrumors G3

Your model Mac Pro isn't supported by Mountain Lion.

3. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Bear - I didn't know that. What OS will I be stabilizing at then?

4. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see that I can only upgrade to 10.7.5 (Lion).

So, back to a new flavor of my original question....

How do I determine what Leopard applications are still referencing data on my Tiger volume?

Thanks, Todd

5. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured this out. I started erasing files on my Tiger volume until I saw something that looked important (like "iPhoto Library") and copied all that stuff (along with my user data) over to my Leopard vol.

When I thought I had my Tiger vol ("Macintosh HD'") cleaned up, I shut down the machine, removed HDD #1, put HDD #2 into slot #1, and fired it back up.

Came up perfectly clean with Leopard. I then renamed "Leopard" to "Macintosh HD" (for posterity).

I then upgraded to Snow Leopard, installed the updates, and that's where I sit right now, wondering if I should even bother with Lion.

Thoughts?

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Do you need any PowerPC applications? I think Snow Leopard is a great version of OS X. So does a lot of people other than me.

Snow Leopard was the last version of OS X to feature the ability to run PowerPC applications - this time using a thing called Rosetta.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Only bother with Lion if there are features in Lion that you need or software you need to use that requires Lion.

And as was pointed out, if you need Rosetta for PowerPC software, you're stuck on Snow Leopard.