Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I got my hands on a few eMacs for cheap and I'm in the process of cleaning them up.
I'm able to get into most of them but have no idea what the usernames or passwords are for the last one of them.

I've tried these instructions but they don't seem to work.

OSX 10.3 +
Hold down Apple-S when the computer starts, then type the following commands:

1. /sbin/fsck -y
2. /sbin/mount -wu /
3. /sbin/SystemStarter
4. /usr/libexec/register_mach_bootstrap_servers /etc/mach_init.d
5. cd /var/db/netinfo; netinfod -s local
6. /sbin/SystemStarter

After I enter the fifth command, I get the large block cursor and it doesn't go away when I press enter.

What do you feel?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
It doesn't have to be the ones specific for the machine, or even that version of OS X, you can use any. If you don't have any at all, You'll need to pick one up from somewhere to be able to reset the password.

a27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It doesn't have to be the ones specific for the machine, or even that version of OS X, you can use any. If you don't have any at all, You'll need to pick one up from somewhere to be able to reset the password.

Okay.
So just boot the computer with the disc in?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
When you start it up and you hear the startup chime, hold the C key until it shows you the gray Apple logo and spinning wheel.
You can also hold the Option key when you hear the chime, and it will take you to a screen where you can choose which disk to start from. Either procedure will work.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Isnt' there a procedure, using Terminal at boot, to change the admin root pw without having the discs if you know the user id?

It would be simple to discern the user name if the locked computers were attached via firewire to another unlocked computer and view the HD contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.