Patapon2 not releasing on UMD

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zelmo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This certainly supports the rumor that the next PSP will no longer support UMD. Guess it's time to buy a MSPD larger than 1GB.

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's kind of a big step. Seems like Valve with Steam and HL2. Kick starting a new (well, improved) service with a big title. But we'll see I guess. Not everyone has the connection speed to get games like this, if stores had a wifi connection to download on then maybe.

For handheld games I still prefer a physical copy. Or at least let us copy a DRMed version of the game to our PSP (tied to PSN?).

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

To be fair, the Game can be downloaded via PC, PS3 or PSP. All you need is a PSN Account. Then its tied to your PSN ID, and can be downloaded as many times as you want.

It seems like a good plan, but i swear i saw Patapon 2 on UMD in the Uk.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

It is. Only in North America is it DD only.

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've been pretty happy with how Sony has done PS3 downloadables and I'm sure the PSP ones are the same. I also think that (much like iTunes) you can run it on 5 devices.

8. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope not. I hope the next PSP (though it seems to be doubtful at this point) will at least have dual layer UMD or a blu laser. They're a good way of carrying a lot of data around for a lot less than it would cost in Memory sticks. Plus if the next PSP has no UMD then byebye backwards compatability (which is always good until the decent next gen games hit, and to replay the best of last gen).

We don't want an iPhone/iPod Touch rival. We want a proper games system on the go.

10. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

If they go without a UMD, I hope they at least have a decently sized internal flash along with a card slot. I don't want to have to carry around a pocketful of 4GB MSPD cards.
    I'd also really hate to lose the ability to play my old UMD games on a new device. At first I was thinking they could set it up so you would load a game in your old PSP, log into PSN and then they could see the disk and unlock a PSN file for you to download onto a UMD-less PSP2, but that obviously won't work because any yahoo can rent a PSP game. How would you prove ownership of the disk?

11. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I think this is a nice test, but for the reasons we discussed in the other thread(s) it comes with loads of baggage.

Sony have really painted themselves in a corner with UMD - it is a game-only format that no one else will touch, and it inherently makes a system bigger, bulkier and more fragile. But it is also cheaper than alternatives ...

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

As opposed to carrying around a pocketful of UMD's?

13. evan g macrumors regular

HAHAHAH! :p

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's still annoying MStickDuo is more expensive than SD. I hope PSP2 allows SD however we all know Sony is all about its own formats.

15. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Yup, I hate that, too, especially since the damn things are so fragile. That's basically why my Playstation Portable pretty much stays in my drawer and I never take it anywhere. I wish Sony would give us a digital download code like you get with many Blu-ray movies. I'd love to store my games on my PS3 and just load the ones I want to play on a large memory stick or, in the case of a future PSP2, a decently sized internal flash drive.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I downloaded this game the other day and I'm enjoying it more than the first one. Its been a long time since I touch the PSP or any handheld but now I'm actually taking this thing to work and playing it all because of locoRoco 2 and Patapon 2.

Bless

17. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

It is nice that you have rediscovered the PSP, but honestly, if you have replayed Patapon or LocoRoco since the original release you'd realize that neither sequel offers much, and neither is really worth $20 if you have the original.

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You're kidding right? Patapon 2 has so much more stuff!

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I played the Jap release of Patapon 2, and was not impressed. Whilst it did have some new features, I did find that certain levels were no longer 'rhythmically' in time with the audio (albeit only a few mili-sec's out) and it hampered my enjoyment of it significantly.

Have they corrected that for the USA release ?

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You're kidding right, Loco Roco 2 has so much more stuff!

And it does. Theres much more incentive to keep playing through Loco Roco 2 and I love the larger, more complex level design. The gameplay and graphics haven't changed much but that's how a good sequel to a good game should be, look at the original Doom games, the Half Life 2 series or Bioshock!

21. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

In a word ... no.

And I know that both games have more content than the original, but that is more like the MGS: Portable Ops+ ...

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

WTF, Please tell me whats your idea of a sequel because adding new content/story and elements to the original idea of the game sounds like a sequel to me.

I haven't experienced anything of this nature so I'm guessing they fixed that.

Bless

23. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

OK, I know I have come across as rather down on these games but that really isn't the case ... here are a few thoughts:
    - I absolutely adore both LocoRoco games.
    - Patapon was (according to a 'best of' article I submitted for a feature that never ran at one of the sites I review for) the 2nd best PSP game of 2008 and my favorite and 'most fun' choice. I really loved the game.
    - Both '2' games are definite enhancements of the originals.

So to those new to the games, I recommend getting the later releases as they offer everything the original did and more.

Actually, that is very much like an add-on pack or expansion (or DLC for the console kiddies ;) )

It might seem like I'm nitpicking, but in a story-centric game, it is the story that matters for a sequel ... but in an innovative gameplay-centric game, nobody cares if you have a new story, because they never cared about it in the first place!

In a world of $60 console games that spend 90% of their budget coming up with expensive graphics, a 'dark & gritty' environment full of checklist features and a design-by-committee feel ... I know I shouldn't be complaining about a pair of $20 PSP games that are both very enjoyable based on whether or not they are 'new & fresh enough'.

In addition, since the PSP release list has, well, frankly *sucked* for the last two years to the point that I'm constantly replaying old stuff - so when something decent like these comes along I should be trumpeting them.

It is perhaps my own fault for replaying each of these games several times so I was looking for much more in the newness department. Who knows.

I do know that my kids are absolutely enamored with these - one has my original PSP and the other my PSP-2000, and they are adoring these games.