Path to HDR is not easy

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ECJ, Sep 22, 2017.

1. ECJ, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Just wanted to share my story of getting the stars aligned to get HDR to work. I thought that this may help someone else. I decided that I was going to go all in on the 4K HDR, so I purchased a Vizio M55-E0 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2, HDR10 and Dolby Digital. I also purchased the Sony STR-DN1070, a 4K HDR AV Receiver with HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2, HDR10 and Dolby Digital. Of course, I have 4K HDR HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 compliant cables. What I discovered is that each device has at least one setting that has to be correct, for all the stars to align for HDR.

The TV only has one HDMI port that is HDMI 2.0a compatible and you have to set the input for that HDMI 1 port to "FULL UHD Color". You have to set the Picture Mode to "Computer", to enable the 4:2:2 color option for the AppleTV.

The receiver was easier, since all the HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 compatible. It just had two settings to change for the magic to happen. The HDMI signal for the input had to be changed from Standard to Enhanced and CEC had to be turned on for the switching of the video signal.

With those two devices set, the AppleTV 4K could change the Chroma from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. Once I had all those settings correct, it allowed it to detect the TV as HDR compliant and do 4K HDR at 60hz. I didn't think that it would take this much effort and research.

2. mikeb13 macrumors regular

How's the PQ on the Vizio? I am thinking about buying the 65" M Series(2017) soon.

3. jnick macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing. My question is, how did you know that what you were initially seeing wasn't HDR? By the end of all of your configuration, what 'information screen' told you whether what you were viewing was HDR or not?

Thanks!

4. ECJ thread starter macrumors 6502

ECJ

It's very good and there is a noticeable difference from the Vizio M55-C2, it replaced. Plus only being $645 helped too.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    The AppleTV would try to switch to 4k HDR, but would resort back to SDR, because the other settings were not correct.

The TV places an overly which shows the current resolution and normal, HDR10 or Dolby Vision setting. So, I know if the video is correct.

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I can't speak for the equipment that ECJ uses, but for my TV (an LG) it announces via temporary display message that it is switching to HDR, and even the type of HDR (Dolby Vision for example). Also there are a different set of adjustments available once you are in an HDR mode.

6. falcora macrumors 6502

FYI the Vizio E-Series you mentioned accepts HDR10 and Dolby Vision inputs, but the panel itself doesn't display the full HDR10 and Dolby Vision quality. That was really deceiving of them, as they try and market it as fully compliant. The Vizio M-Series is noticeably much better as the panel itself support HDR.

7. Poontaco macrumors regular

You're wrong on both accounts.
    The Vizio E-Series TV's do not accept Dolby Vision Sources.
    But they do fully support HDR 10 (at least the last two model years do).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    The problem with this, is that the Apple TV always sends an HDR signal to your TV, whether you are watching real HDR content or not.
    So you can really only tell by using your eyes, or going by what the Apple TV tells you.