Path to volume changed by the system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andy C, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Andy C macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have my Users/ folder on a separate volume for safe keeping, and the path to this was...

/Volumes/Data/Users/MyID

The volume got renamed on the desktop and after a reboot my settings had gone, well they hadn't, the OS had changed the name of the volume to 'Data 1' and therefore I had to reset my path to...

/Volumes/Data 1/Users/MyID

How can I change the volume back to just 'Data'? It's called Data on the desktop now, but the path to it is still /Volumes/Data 1, even tho there is no 'Data 1' volume!

Any ideas on a fix would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy.

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

Most likely there is something else sitting at the '/Volumes/Data' path, and my guess is that it is a folder that got created there with some data when something tried to write to a user folder before the 'Data' volume was mounted.

Using local users on another volume is always going to have this risk, since the OS's multi-threaded startup makes some assumptions for local users (LDAP users are another thing, so this is not an issue for Servers). You can fix this for the moment by just cleaning out whatever is at '/Volumes/Data' and restarting.

Longer term fixes are always going to be hit-and-miss (there is no 100% way here... you are doing something out-of-spec), but the first thing I would do is to write in a /etc/fstab file to make sure that is the only place that volume can mount. Then I would turn off auto-login, to give a built-in pause before user folders get accessed.