Pathetic iPhone 5 battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan914, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ryan914 macrumors newbie

3 hours 40 minutes light usage, mostly Messages and Twitter over 3G and LTE. And I'm down to 2%. I set it up as a new phone, Bluetooth is off. Any idea what is going on?

Attached Files:

2. SWODiphone macrumors newbie

Is this without a charge after the initial purchase?

When I left the Apple store with mine I was at 74% and after a 20 minute drive home was at 45%...Needless to say I was a little worried

After charging it though the battery hasn't been anything less then I would had expected and has been holding up great for me with a lot of usage

3. johnzombie macrumors newbie

Mines pretty bad too. With normal use (the odd Facebook check a few times an hour and a few messages) I'm losing 10 percent per hour. Way worse than my iPhone 4. The battery's going down fast in standby too. On my iPhone 4 after I unplug it in the morning I would often not use it for 2-3 hours and it would be between 98 and 100 percent. With my iPhone 5, its loosing several percent each hour on standby. No idea whats going on.

I noticed you're on Telstra. I got mine from Telstra too. Maybe they got sent a bad batch? I don't know just speculating.

4. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Here we go again. Happens every cycle. Give it a few deep recharges, and the battery meter should recalibrate. Then use it normally like your old phone before judging.

5. johnzombie macrumors newbie

6. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

iPhone batteries have charges even before you opened the plastic wrap on the box where it's stored. It's a very common practice to any rechargeable devices that the battery should be drained completely and charged completely the very first time. What I usually do is drain the battery, then charge is completely without overcharging it, use it like normal, then drain the battery again, charge it completely and then use it. Drain the battery atleast once every 2 weeks and charge it completely. And also try to only charge it when it's below 5% then charge it completely and never over charge. Technically, a battery should have at least 1000 cycle charges. Charging it for whatever duration kills a battery cycle.

7. Tonefiesta macrumors newbie

You clearly no nothing about lithium-ion battery's!
    You only need to cycle them 2-3 times then they are at their peek, there is no memory affect so you can charge them at ANY state of charge
    1000 cycles? More like 5000! ;)
    So If you charged your battery once a day,every day for 10 years it should still be going strong, it should reach the end of its life in 12-15 years

8. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

LTE is a battery killer, for any phone. Also try dim your screen a little bit can help.

9. Philpug macrumors member

I have noticed this too along with the phone feeling "warm". c'mon cycles.

10. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

My new iPhone 5 also sucks the battery low very fast. Mine also gets pretty hot when it's charging. Is this normal?

Thought the 5 was to have longer battery life? :confused:

11. tekno macrumors 6502a

My Galaxy S3 is exactly the same. Oh no, hang on, after nearly two days my battery is at 50%.

I think the iPhone is great, but Apple really are beginning to look a little poor.

Attached Files:

12. parmacrafter macrumors newbie

I had the same issue from launch day. I fully drained and then fully charged the phone with the same end results. It was mentioned in another forum to check notification settings. It appears IOS 6 turns on push notifications for practically everything. I went through and turned off all the ones I didn't need. That helped some. What really helped was turning off push notifications for mail. It appears that along with LTE the mail program is the next biggest battery hog. Try turning some of those notifications off and see if that helps.

Now I get 24+ hours of standby and 6 or more hours of use out of 90% battery.

13. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I do not have any iPhone but I do have the first LTE phone(Thunderbolt). LTE is the culprit. If I leave LTE on, my phone will day in 4 Hours of light us. If I turn off my Mobile Internet my phone will last for 2 days. If you are not using data just turn it off, or switch to 3G if you need it on. I personally would rather have LTE when I want it and have a better battery life then use 3G all day.

14. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

You can't actually overcharge the battery can you?

15. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

Sorry op but I'm at 6hrs on my iPhone 5 and batt is at 20% try a restore as new.

16. Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually did a restore yesterday, seems to have fixed the battery :) Unfortunately my phone has sound issues and needs to be replaced :(

17. johnzombie macrumors newbie

I just did a restore too and the battery seems to be holding up. We'll see how the rest of the day goes battery wise.

18. bova80 macrumors 6502a

don't seem to have an issue with mine 6.5hours use and 13 hours stand by with 30% left.

19. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

It's my battery good?

Attached Files:

20. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I was having battery issues. Here's what I figured out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1455408

Tips: check what your CPU is doing. sysstatlite app will show you a general overview of CPU % used. If it's always high, something software related is the problem. Either an app or the system. Mine was the system.

21. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

Where do you find the settings for the push notifications?

22. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I know this is out there but I want to make sure I understand correctly....to start over as a new device do you still restore from a previous backup?

23. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I plugged it into iTunes, clicked the restore option. It downloaded the iOS from apple and started new. Then I think there was something that gave me the option to restore from a backup or start as a new device. I wanted to start completely fresh - meaning I had to pick my apps, my music, my photos and then added my mail accounts using the iPhone. Ever since doing this its made a world of difference. Check what your CPU is doing before restoring. As I mentioned in my previous post and in the thread I linked to, there was something major going on. Luckily I figured it out and solved it. I'm at 40% remaining and I've used it for 8 hrs 40 min and a standby time of 19 hrs. I couldn't even get 4.5 hrs of usage time before this.

24. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

My stats look the same as yours but I dont have any reading bookmarks waiting to download. If I restore as new, I am fine re-adding old apps but how do you get things like pictures, bookmarks, etc. back onto your device? Do you not use the old backup at all (which for me was from a JB 4S running 5.1.1)?

25. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if you are using a Mac or what. I decided to start all over. So in iTunes, I clicked on the photos option and looked at what I wanted to sync. I ended up not syncing any and just pulled off from my photo stream for now and saving the pics to my iPhone. Bookmarks transferred over from my computer because I think i had that option selected in iTunes. Passwords saved were erased for websites and networks. I lost all my text messages, but I hadn't deleted any for 2 years so it was good to start over fresh.

And yes, my backup was from a jail broken iPhone 4 on 5.1.1