Pathfinder... Indispensable finder tool? Lets hear it...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Dec 7, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

http://cocoatech.com/

am considering this software for an improvement to the finder in snow leopard.

I'm wondering if those who use it consider it indispensable.

The tabbed windows, windows side by side in the same window, and other such features are what i'm attracted to. what do you guys think?

thanks,
    r.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I own it, and find it very useful. Gives a nice breakdown of folders and a good preview of files as well.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm playing with it right now, and so far the jury is out on whether its indispensable for me.

I'm not seeing that much utility over the finder and its performance is subpar to the finder. Not by much but initial start up is rather sluggish.

I'll be cleaning up/reorganizing my hard drive this week, so perhaps I'll see how that works as compared to the Finder but so far I'm fairly underwhelmed.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried it a while back. I found some of the features really nice, but overall I had no desire to purchase it. Definitely not indispensable.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not worth the cost. Anything Pathfinder does in one action can be done in two using the normal Finder. It's not that hard.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Have used PathFinder for over a year now and like. Like it well enough to pay for the upgrade from v4 to v5.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK, maybe you can show me how to do this with Finder: Find all the music files in your Music folder and all its subfolders, then sort them all by file size, regardless of which folder they're in.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't need to do that. Figure it out yourself.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, you can't do that with Finder. You can easily do it with Pathfinder.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but he (we) don't need to do that, thus making functionality unnecessary. The point is that the tool is anything but indispensable. Sure it has some features that may make it more efficient then Finder maybe even something that Finder doesn't do but it seems a solution in search of a problem. Clearly not worth the asking money.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Just curious, why would you need to have your music files sorted by size? Is there some benefit to this that I don't realize?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't need to do that, that's fine. Some do have a need for that functionality, and Finder won't do that. The point is that the statement, "Anything Pathfinder does in one action can be done in two using the normal Finder." is false. Finder has many limitations. For those who need more of the functionality that exists in Windows Explorer but is absent in Finder, Pathfinder is a viable option. To some, those capabilities make Pathfinder indispensable. For those who don't need those functions, it's not.

I used that as an example of something that Finder can't do that Pathfinder can. I've had many situations where I needed to sort the results of a search by size or other criteria and Finder can't do that.

13. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I purchased it earlier this year and don't use it; it is not even installed on my system. Finder is enough for my needs.

14. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I've actually wanted many of the features of PathFinder... including finder operations similar to the one mentioned...

Pathfinder is just too expensive.

I wish i could finder another way to have a tabbed browser...

r.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

Like it a lot. It isn't perfect but 10x better than Finder. I wish Apple would just buy it and replace Finder with it.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I liked the tabbed interface as well. There's probably a little more interface tweaks they could do that would seal the deal for me. Such as a tree view pain on the left, a la windows file explorer and increase the performance.

Overall, pathfinder doesn't suck, but its not a compelling enough product to plunk down the $$ they're asking. As I noted in my earlier post, I'll be doing some hard drive clean up and I'll try using that exclusively and see how I like it. I'm not anti-pathfinder, but rather so far I don't think its indispensable.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My opinion on pathfinder is starting to change.

I'm working from home today and part of my duties is to maintain servers. Once I connect to them, I need to navigate to various log files. pathfinder's UI is making this task much easier then if I used finder. hmmmm.

Perhaps this puppy may after all be worth the purchase price.