Pathfinder users...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macswitcha2, Sep 23, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

2. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

A few things the finder is missing:

1) Cut/Paste of files and folders. Its possible to copy a file/folder by cmd+c/v but its not possible to cmd+x/v ?? Windows does this, and its *shocking* a useful feature! Beats having to open two finder windows and drag + drop.

2) When copying a folder of files and/or folders into a designated area that already has a folder of the same name, the folder gets COMPLETELY replaced by the new folder with all of its own contents. Whereas on the Windows side, the existing folder is MERGED with the copied folder, so NO file gets tossed out (unless two files of the same name exists and it gets replaced, thats fine).

Why have these two simple and obvious functions NOT been implemented into the Finder? This is like apple taking forever with a mouse with *gulp* TWO buttons!

3) Not sure if this is possible in Snow Leopard, but I cant seem to do this in OS X 10.5; default display of all files on all drives and partitions being 48x48 pixel icon view, with preview showing (i like thumbnails), all organized by name, as opposed to have one big MESS in random folders; no previews, unorganized, and not sorted.

4) Windows XP has a function of showing images in a folder in film strip mode. If any of you are photographers, you know how useful this feature is; set folder to display as film strip and all images are previewed maximized to full screen with back/forth, zoom in/out and rotate functions. This is nice because the view of the folder is remembered and it only requires ONE CLICK. As opposed to the Finder, the best thing to that is Coverflow view which is piss poor since it does a CRAP job of display the image full screen; it doesnt! The finder is still bogged down by files being displayed below, NOT as icons, taking up extra space, as do the massive sized previews next to the image being displayed in the coverflow view. I welcomed this view, however its one step forward, two steps backwards.

If there was an application that allowed me to open an image in OS X which also displayed all of the images in that same folder and let me quickly browse through it, I'd be pretty damn happy. But the Finder is FAR from 'perfect' or.....PRODUCTIVE.

If Pathfinder does these things, I may switch, however I'd hate to have another application running on top of everything else.

3. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Just installed Pathfinder, to check it out;

1) Its slow. Rendering of the window, resizing and such isnt very quick, there is lag. Moving around through folders with many files, particularly images, isnt very quick.

2) Cut/paste works.

3) Pasting a folder into a directory where a folder of the same name exists does NOT merge them, it simply replaces it. See complaint #2 on my previous reply. This sucks.

4) Previewing images is acceptable, but still not as quick and simple as on windows. However, it does do a fairly good job of displaying images and scrolling through them as previews and such, so jumping from folder to folder via pathfinder to view/move/organize/delete photos is actually pretty good. It even allows for dual windows, as in, you can browse through two sets of folders and the preview shows up at the bottom! Take a look at some screen shots I took.

http://www.ungraphic.com/stuff/pathfinder1.jpg
    http://www.ungraphic.com/stuff/pathfinder2.jpg
    http://www.ungraphic.com/stuff/pathfinder3.jpg

In each view (when using dual) the display of folders can be modified as well, weather in column, list or icon. GREAT function. However, a bit slow, you can feel the lag, and my computer is by no means slow;

My system specs:

2x2.66ghz Mac Pro 1,1, 2gb RAM, 2x3870 ATI, 2x250gb RAID0 startup drive (7,200rpm), 200gb WD, 160gb Seagate.

I still think Pathfinder needs some heavy tweaking, especially with the lag issue.

4. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I like it a lot. I love the dual pane view (why this hasn't been incorporated into the Finder, I have no idea). I like and use the drop stack a lot, as well. If you are moving around files a lot, it is a great app to have. There are a number of other little things I like a great deal as well.

That said, it is a large file with some bloat, as another poster indicates. It could use a bit of streamlining, but it is fully featured.

What do you plan on using it for? How is the Finder not good enough for your needs? Perhaps this is not the ideal app to fill the gaps in your workflow?

5. dmiller macrumors member

I've got it and love it...it isn't one of my most used applications but when i have to move files and folders around it is a breeze. I have the dual pane set up as well. Also it's nice to have the terminal pop out if you ever need it. Also the 'Target' at the top is nice, think of it as a clipboard for moving files.

I would say it is worth the money ($39?) but don't think it will completely change your life. Then again, it very well could.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Bought v4, upgraded to v5. Very useful application and is my primary Finder but have not replaced the default Finder. Both have their uses.

7. str1f3 macrumors 68000

It's a good app but it's really not necessary unless you desperately need it. A problem with some users is that they are always looking to replace an app with features they don't really need. Try to keep a minimalist approach. The Mac gives you most of the features you need.

8. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I hate it. I was really disappointed but I refuse to uninstall it after having paid. I find it to be far too messy and it seems to just chew up memory even when idle, which for me, Finder does not. The design and feel of it is just too Windows Explorer-like and feels like Inspector Gadget with all its drawers and 'accessories'.
    I want to have the Finder from 10.0-10.2.

9. str1f3 macrumors 68000

For me the Finder is near-perfect. The only thing I want from path Finder is the ability to have Coverflow and column view at the same time. I actually appreciate the minimalistic UI of the Finder.