Patiently Waiting...

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
501
444
England, UK
Hello all,

So, who here is also patiently awaiting the new line of iPad models to be revealed?

I have already sold my iPad Air 2 in preparation for a shiny new replacement, and to maximise the value.
I'm constantly checking online to see if/when Apple announce the Spring event, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

If it turns out to be a minuscule update not worth the money, then I'll just opt for a first gen iPad Pro 9.7" which would be more than sufficient for me anyway.

I know it may be unlikely, but I'd also like there to be a black colour option too.

Come on Apple, hurry up and give me some news to chew on!
 

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
339
166
the talk seems to have shifted in the last few days to a 'minor update' if that is the case i'll be incredibly disappointed
 

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
2,662
2,387
Same here, I'm checking back too often. I'm waiting for an updated iPad mini and the 128 GB SE myself. For now I'm making do with a mini 3 and 5s, but their shortcomings are becoming more glaring every day. I need patience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: boston04and07

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
2,482
4,171
Upstate, NY
I cant imagine what the real tangible value of the 10.5" iPad will be versus the 9.7" version? Interesting but I dont see how it fits. Overall, everytime I think Im ready to upgrade my Air1 just keeps doing its thing without a fuss. I'll see what they do.
 

Prozak0820

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
298
161
Tampa, Florida
Sold my mini 4 just to get a bigger ipad. 9.7 the small screen sucked for me haha. And it got slow at times when I was using split screen and pip. Trying to update my phone and iPad. After the iPad I'm going to my carrier to see how much an upgrade costs. Hoping it's under 500-600 euros. For the 128 plus.
 

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
3,022
966
Destin, FL
So, who here is also patiently awaiting the new line of iPad models to be revealed!
Me too... currently have iPP9.7 but will pick up a new 10.5 inch in same for factor, if the rumors come true
[doublepost=1489644359][/doublepost]
I just want water resistance, but so far there have been no rumors about it...
Me too... these companies have been around for quite some time:
  1. HZO
  2. Liquipel
About time for Apple to pony up the licensing fee and make my next [insert Apple product of desire] waterproof.
 
Last edited:

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
339
166
I am beginning to think,at least for the 9.7,it'll be a "meh" update, the real news will be the 10.5, and the 12.9 which should be,a SUPER UPDATE to and beyond the 9.7
At this point I can't imagine we'll be getting the 10.5...it seems like just a spec bump to the 9.7 and 12.9 with the new 10.5 coming later.

The rumours seem to point to the 10.5 being brand new screen tech etc....if that is the case I don't think Apple would do that without a keynote.
 
Last edited:

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
517
165
I think at this point we are 'impatiently' waiting, patience is over. Plus I am watching the web for news on a Surface Pro 5. For the first time, I have come down off my Apple high and life after Jobs is beginning to soak in. I have an Air 2 and an IPP 9.7", not impressed with the IPP at all. However, they are slotted to be given to DD& DGD if Apple releases a 10.?" with a worthy enough upgrade from the 9.7". And if not, I'm gonna take a really serious look at the SP 5.
 
  • Like
Reactions: businezguy

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
2,468
2,404
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
A way to simplify the iPad Lineup (no, really...) is to have everything on their own axis:

Memory: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB (base, +$100, +$200)
Screen Size: 7.9, 9.7, 10.5, 12.9 (base, base+$50, base+$150, base+$250)
Pencil Usage (pro): Yes/No (base, base+$200, $100 for the feature, $100 for the Pencil)
Cellular/GPS: Yes/No (base, base+$130)

An interesting way to do this is to just have one board, and allow users to upgrade (screen size excepted) as they want to, but that would probably infuriate people. You want to upgrade the memory from 64GB to 256GB? Put it on your iTunes account, and the software allows using the extra 192GB. There are chips out there that can change their configuration permanently, kind of like a fuse.

Give people what they want, and a constant revenue stream for Apple. Buy a cheap one, and then, as you want, upgrade it.
 

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
1,901
386
Ma
Here's my Guess . Next week they release the ship dates of the incremental updates. I think they will have updated 9.7" Pro and 12.9 " Pro's , the bezel -less 10.5 prob isn't read y yet , so will get an unveiling in the fall at the Iphone event. Along with a 7.9" Mini Pro.

I'm torn I had the 12.9 inch original and thought it too big and got rid of it after a few days and i think i didn't give it enough time, i really want something larger for comic reading, so it's eith going to be revisiting the 12.9, now hopefully with a wider color gamut screen. Or wait for the 10.5 which might be a sweet spot
 

Kiimora

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
960
301
London UK
Waiting impatiently for the 10.5' , nothing seems set in stone at this point; media invites have not gone out which means it may not even happen in April. :( My Air 2 is still doing the trick nicely however I want this upgrade....period!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMVillain

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
291
73
VA
Here's my Guess . Next week they release the ship dates of the incremental updates. I think they will have updated 9.7" Pro and 12.9 " Pro's , the bezel -less 10.5 prob isn't read y yet , so will get an unveiling in the fall at the Iphone event. Along with a 7.9" Mini Pro.
I fear that you're correct about the 10.5. I have an Air 2 that I'm still happy with. But, I was planning to buy the rumored 10.5 and give the Air 2 to my sister. I won't bite if Apple just announces incremental updates. Still holding out some hope that they'll schedule a spring event.
 

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
339
166
Here's my Guess . Next week they release the ship dates of the incremental updates. I think they will have updated 9.7" Pro and 12.9 " Pro's , the bezel -less 10.5 prob isn't read y yet , so will get an unveiling in the fall at the Iphone event. Along with a 7.9" Mini Pro.

I'm torn I had the 12.9 inch original and thought it too big and got rid of it after a few days and i think i didn't give it enough time, i really want something larger for comic reading, so it's eith going to be revisiting the 12.9, now hopefully with a wider color gamut screen. Or wait for the 10.5 which might be a sweet spot
The biggest issue for me on the 12.9 was the weight...I'm hoping they'll have done some magic and reduced it substantially.
 

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
501
444
England, UK
The biggest issue for me on the 12.9 was the weight...I'm hoping they'll have done some magic and reduced it substantially.
I'll doubt they'll bother trying to reduce the weight on the 12.9" version, as it's not really supposed to be that portable.

I could be wrong though.
 

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
2,022
1,476
United States
So apparently next week we're definetly getting atleast ios 10.3 and possibly a updated iPad 9.7inch. I'm thinking they'll keep a Air as a low cost option and this is the update to that with no event, then they would move the Pro lineup to 10.5inch model and 12.9inch respectively possibly announcing a event for those next week ?
 

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
238
254
In the same boat as OP. Android user but sold my Android tablet and tried out the Pro just about 2 months ago. Really liked it but returned in awaiting the upgrade. Couldn't wait that long so using my wife's air 2 when I can, but the sooner the better to get my own. At worst case I find old stock on the Pro, but figure I'll get the latest and greatest either 9.7 or the new 10.8. Whichever has better specs,don't need the bigger screen necessarily.

However if they also upgrade the mini, that will be a tough call too because there are times I really like using that form factor. And if they were ever to make a bezeless mini, pushing it to 8.7 or so, I'd be getting that.My Nexus 9 was a perfect form factor and screen size, too bad it was terribly slow.

Who knows what they have in store. If there wasn't the bezeless iPad it could all be done with press releases. But a event for basically a larger screen iPad seems a bit much. Don't forget a probably upgraded Apple Pencil and hopefully some other smart connector peripherals.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WRXiceman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.