Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Hi.

So, after reading about how that Kingston 1600 8 gig set worked on a laptop like mine, I decided I had to have that.

But Newegg was out of it! Hey.. look Patriot has a similar set for the same price.

I just got it and put it in. It works. ID'ed as 1600 8 gigs.

Before and after screenshots below. Oh, and I didn't really expect any major difference. I just wanted it to be 1600.

Before:

1066.jpg

After:

1600.jpg

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
It definitely makes a difference according to your benchmarks. I received my 1600 Kingston ram today along with A 240gb vertex 3. Just need my 2.3 17" MBP to arrive now.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Didn't grab a screen shot, but mine is between the two of yours, closer to the 1600, and I have 1333MHz from Patriot in mine. I would conclude that it is running at 1600 and not jut reporting it as such. I was also curious about the early shot being 1067, was that transplanted RAM from another system? I think I will hold out for the 16GB 1600 to be affordable and then upgrade (I run lots of VMs so the RAM really helps).

I also have the 2.3 as well, just not lucky enough for the SSD yet.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
nice :)

yeah whats with the 1067 mhz in the pic?

what SSD is that, that are some crazy speeds, im jealous with my 2010 i7 :D

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Um. Why is your "before" picture showing 8GB 1066MHz?

The 2011 MBPs come with 1333MHz RAMs standard.

Um.. because that was the 8 gig set I had bought in 11/09 for $395 that was in my 3/09 15". When I bought this new one I took the 4 gig of 1333 and put it into the old machine that I sold the following day. The 4 gig that that came with the old 15" had long ago gone into my wife's 13" that came with 2 gigs or something.

Any other questions?

:)

Last edited:

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Check his signature about 2X C300 in Raid O. That explains it.

Yes. I know a lot of people have said that a single SATA3 SSD running full bore on the regular hard drive port is faster than 2 of them in RAID0 with one on the SATA2 optical drive port, but my benches on this setup are consistently higher than Crucial's stated specs for one drive. That said, the real reason I have a pair is for the combined storage. The performance is just a nice side effect.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I didn't think 1067 would work with the new models.

It does. And the 1333 MHz dimms that came with my new machine worked fine in the 3/09 machine they went into for sale.

I never considered that either of them would't work.

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Yes. I know a lot of people have said that a single SATA3 SSD running full bore on the regular hard drive port is faster than 2 of them in RAID0 with one on the SATA2 optical drive port, but my benches on this setup are consistently higher than Crucial's stated specs for one drive. That said, the real reason I have a pair is for the combined storage. The performance is just a nice side effect.

Sweet, didn't think that would work for some reason. Those scores are better than my Vertex 3. I was planning to put my old C300 in the optical bay but now thinking I should get a matching drive and RAID them. Ordered some 1600 RAM at the weekend but it hasn't been delivered yet..

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Sweet, didn't think that would work for some reason. Those scores are better than my Vertex 3. I was planning to put my old C300 in the optical bay but now thinking I should get a matching drive and RAID them. Ordered some 1600 RAM at the weekend but it hasn't been delivered yet..

Yeah, I was surprised when I ran the first benchmark on it and it scored so well. The one in the screenie here wasn't actually the best I've seen on the drive test. I was paying more attention to the memory. Other previous ones have more often than not scored over 400 for max read/write.

That'd be awesome if you got a 2nd vertex 3. Now THOSE are some scores I'd like to see and I don't think anyone on this forum has done that yet. Do it do it!!!

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, I was surprised when I ran the first benchmark on it and it scored so well. The one in the screenie here wasn't actually the best I've seen on the drive test. I was paying more attention to the memory. Other previous ones have more often than not scored over 400 for max read/write.

That'd be awesome if you got a 2nd vertex 3. Now THOSE are some scores I'd like to see and I don't think anyone on this forum has done that yet. Do it do it!!!

The Vertex 3 should be back in stock on Monday so I'll get another and RAID0 them. Benchmarks will be posted!

Fitted some Kingston 1600MHz, impressed by the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.