Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lansylator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Las Vegas
I purchased the Patriot memory (specs below) for my MBP, 2.33 ghz, installed it and tried to power up and all I got was a black screen. I thought the specs matched perfectly but apparently something went wrong.

PC2-5300 (667MHz) Data Rate
200-Pin Dual in-line memory module
Non-ECC Unbuffered
2 Rank Double-sided module
7.8US Refresh Interval (8192 CYCLES/64MS)
1.8V Power Requirement
Auto and self refresh capability
PCB height: 1181 (mil)
Serial Presence-Detect (SPD)
100% Tested
Lifetime Warranty
RoHS Compliant

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=3&catid=2&prodgroupid=37&id=614&type=5

Any thoughts? Did I miss something?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I used two 1 GB Patriot sticks just fine in my MacBook and iMac for a total of 2 GB for the past year. I'm using 4 GB of G.Skill right now.

Did you make sure you inserted both sticks firmly into their slots? I remember my iMac once booting and getting nothing but a black screen. It turns out the RAM had become unseated.

2.33 GHz does mean you have a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Did you make sure you inserted both sticks firmly into their slots? I remember my iMac once booting and getting nothing but a black screen. It turns out the RAM had become unseated.

I agree that it sounds like they may have become unseated.
Double check that they are in all the way, and if they are, then install the old ram again and make sure it boots.
If it does, then you got some bum ram and you need to call Patriot.

Lansylator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Las Vegas
I have put the Patriot memory in and out many times to make sure it is seated correctly. But no luck. I put my old memory back in and everything boots up fine.

So do the specs look OK? It should be working as far as you can tell?

Thanks again!!

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
I've been hit or miss with Patriot memory in the past with Macbooks/MBPs. I eventually just gave up on Patriot and switched to using OWC's house brand, in both our MBPs and my mini, every stick that I've ordered has worked exceptionally well.

If the seating is not the problem, I'd just return the Patriot memory and either RMA (to get a replacement) or return it defective and use your money on another brand.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT
I purchased the Patriot memory (specs below) for my MBP, 2.33 ghz, installed it and tried to power up and all I got was a black screen. I thought the specs matched perfectly but apparently something went wrong.

PC2-5300 (667MHz) Data Rate
200-Pin Dual in-line memory module
Non-ECC Unbuffered
2 Rank Double-sided module
7.8US Refresh Interval (8192 CYCLES/64MS)
1.8V Power Requirement
Auto and self refresh capability
PCB height: 1181 (mil)
Serial Presence-Detect (SPD)
100% Tested
Lifetime Warranty
RoHS Compliant

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=3&catid=2&prodgroupid=37&id=614&type=5

Any thoughts? Did I miss something?

Thanks a bunch!!!

What generation is your MBP? If yours is the older version (you specified 2.33GHz) it tops out at either 2 or 3GB RAM. Trying to install 4GB may be the cause of the problem. Again, I could be mistaken, as this depends on which generation MBP you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.