Patriot torqx ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evolesque, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Evolesque macrumors member

Yeah so I just finished installing a patriot torqx 64gb ssd in my 13" 2.26 mbp.
    Works pretty good. Boot times and app launches are definitely a lot faster.
    The reason I picked the torqx is because the sequential write is pretty close to the 1.5 limit on sata I. I originally was going to get the intel x25 but the only difference between the torqx and x25 with a 1.5 limit would be in probably 4k operations where the intel would be faster. The torqx has a indilinks controller with 64 megs of d-ram. There shouldn't be a stuttering issue like the warp series.

p.s. if I get around to it I might post xbench disk scores later.
    also yeah I know the Intel has a little bit more space but 64 vs 80 for me personally doesn't make a difference. The money you save on the torqx now can by a 4gb ram upgrade.

2. veterator macrumors member

veterator

64 GB used to seem so enormous, now, I don't think I could live with only 64GB. Good luck.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah... I remember my first laptop had a 4gb HDD... and my first desktop was rocking a 750 MB hard drive :eek:

Of course, the OS only took 15 mb, so 750 was relatively much larger then the 120GB hard drive I run Leopard on :rolleyes:

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My first desktop HD had just over 100MB if I remember correctly. Never had to worry about filling it up since I had to reinstall the OS every few days (it makes Vista look perfect ;) ). I still have a 10GB hard drive lying around my house, despite the fact that I have a drobo full of 1 TB drives, plus an additional 1TB external.

If I were to get an SSD, I would need at least 250GB just because I would like to have half the space free (Mac OSX runs better this way).