Patriot Torqx2 64gb ssd for MBP late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oceanbox, Mar 15, 2012.

1. oceanbox macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I just made the switch from PC to Mac!
    I was just curious, I have a Patriot Torqx2 64GB SSD I bought for my desktop, and as it already has an Intel 320 boot drive, I wanted to remove it and put it into my MBP.

The SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220581

I've been looking around for information on this drive in MBP's and I don't really see too many people with variation in drives.. mostly Vertex 3's. It's a SATA II drive so I think it's ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, I was curious how much space OSX takes up on a drive, as I want to partition the SSD into a Windows/OSX combo, just for the boot speeds. I'm looking into a cheap HDD caddy, so I should be good on space.
    ....Unless OSX doesn't allow programs to be installed in another drive.

TL;DR: Feedback on a Patriot Torqx2 SSD as a boot drive. Can I do dual boot OSX + Windows on one 64GB SSD with enough space?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

64 GB is how much the cheapest mba has, so it should be just barely enough for OSX and a few apps. Just make sure it has some sort of automatic garbage collection because OSX doesn't support trim on 3rd party drives.

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

You can, with about 1/2 of the drive dedicated to each OS. I have a MB w/32GB SSD and it runs fine; but then it is only used for web browsing, email and creating documents in Word.

i'd look at the size of your My Documents folder as well as what apps you plan to use to see if you'll have space.

Forget about having much of a video or music library.

4. oceanbox thread starter macrumors newbie

I should be able to keep all that stuff on a second hdd with the hdd optibay caddy right...

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It should work without issue, but my recommendation would be to save a little bit and get a larger SSD. If you are starving your system that much by limiting your space just for the benefit of a faster boot, then I would recommend just leaving it on and putting the computer to sleep. If all of your programs and data are going to be residing on a slower drive, are you really gaining anything by moving to such a small drive. I would say that if it doesn't fit your needs such that you are limiting yourself, wait until you can afford a larger drive and really reap the benefits.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Sure. Just remember that doing so voids any warranty on the MBP.
    Speaking as someone who went from a HDD - Hybrid SSD/HDD to SSD, the performance improvement has been nice but not earth shattering. Before you go and pull your ODD, try running the MAC from the SSD with the HDD on a usb port. Sure it'll be slower than the SATA interface in the ODD but at least you'll see if the effort is worth the delta in performance.