Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crispyking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Can anyone else see a very fine honeycomb-like pattern when they look at the screen of their iPhone 6?

It's most noticeable to me on light solid colors when viewed at a slight angle. Although I do see it straight on at times too.

I've only been able to check one other 6 and it had the same thing.

It wasn't like this on my 4s, and not on the rMini.

jwcdis

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
it's part of the touch sensing pattern of the sensor its usually indium tin oxide which appears pretty transparent.

crispyking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I figured that was what I was seeing. It's just a shame it's much more visible than on other devices.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, I see it. These do not have a better screen than the 5s/5. It's just bigger.

jwcdis

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
i do not. six plus. and i am usually an OCD about screens

Its usually more visible with the LCD off and the light reflecting off of the glass screen at a certain angle while you are looking at the screen at another angle.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I have spent 3 days comparing my 5 and my 6. In no way is the 6 sharper, have better color, contrast or overall better appearance. It it brighter and of course bigger.

When I was comparing my 5 to a 6 at the Verizon store, I thought the contrast was better on the 5. It may just be my settings though but I really thought the 6 looked washed out. The 6+ though... DAMN THAT'S A NICE SCREEN.

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Its usually more visible with the LCD off and the light reflecting off of the glass screen at a certain angle while you are looking at the screen at another angle.

And why would you stare at your iphone screen when it is off? :)

I can't make out the pattern (luckily I'm an older iphone user and can't see it).

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have spent 3 days comparing my 5 and my 6. In no way is the 6 sharper, have better color, contrast or overall better appearance. It it brighter and of course bigger.

I have the 5s here and the 6. The 6 is superior in every way.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Oh yea, I've been seeing it on every display model I've looked at. Don't see it at all on the 6+. Only on the 6. One huge reason I'm leaning toward the 6+ but damn! it is huge!

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Can you say a little more about that?. I only had a few minutes with both at Verizon and honestly saw no difference- same or worse contrast, same pixelated blurriness on super fine text, etc.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Can you say a little more about that?. I only had a few minutes with both at Verizon and honestly saw no difference- same or worse contrast, same pixelated blurriness on super fine text, etc.

Contrast. Brightness. Colour shift at off axis. Outdoor legibility. Viewing with polarised sunnies. Bit depth (far less instances of banding due to blur).

All are superior to previous iPhones.

As far as blurriness of fine text. I can't see any.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

Maybe I got a lemon. Going to the store tonight to have it exchanged for this..

Attachments

• DP.JPG
    DP.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 80

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
Pattern on screen of 6

Can anyone else see a very fine honeycomb-like pattern when they look at the screen of their iPhone 6?

It's most noticeable to me on light solid colors when viewed at a slight angle. Although I do see it straight on at times too.

I've only been able to check one other 6 and it had the same thing.

It wasn't like this on my 4s, and not on the rMini.

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/8:

"The other issue at hand is that of viewing angles. While Apple is one of the first to really talk about dual domain pixels, this technique is rather commonly used to improve viewing angles. The result is that a pair of pixels will appear to be a chevron, and overall the pixels appear to be squiggly in nature. While this doesn’t really change the readability of the display at extreme angles, colors like white no longer have noticeable red/yellow/blue shifts depending upon the angle that the display is shifted at.

This is definitely noticeable in everyday use, as the iPhone 5s could only avoid color shifting at certain angles instead of every angle. As I predicted in the launch article though, the one caveat seems to be that black has a noticeable shift towards purple in certain angles. There's also a noticeable hatching on close examination, but this doesn't affect image quality. This is definitely better than what I see on AMOLED though, as while AMOLED has much better brightness stability the color shifting is far more obvious and significant."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.