Paul Thurrott, window guy, scared of Apple

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yodaxl7, Oct 28, 2010.

1. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

He is comparing the iPad's success to that of Nintendo Wii. I agree that it will sell like the Wii, but disagree with lack of content. I don't use my Nintendo Wii much at all. Wii lack content. The iPad is chalked full of content. I think Paul is afraid that Microsoft is going to lose its monopoly in the pc market share. I predict that in five years, the halo effect of iPad will increase Apple share of pc to be closer to 50 percent. I think that he notices a lot of pc people moving over to Apple like myself. Competition is great, Paul!! Maybe Google will enter the pc market! Google could create a chrome computer!

I like Paul Thurrott, but his latest assessment make me think he is losing it.

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yeah I'll have to disagree with this as well. I got a Wii a few months after its release and aside from the random party game to show the family when we first got it, the only thing we use the Wii for is streaming Netflix these days.

All of my gaming's now done on iPad/iPhone/PC and Nintendo DS. It's a rare day that I pick up the Wii to play Guitar Hero, etc.

They're in completely different classes -- the iPad goes everywhere with me, and I have a 99.9% paperless system for everything now. Apple got the jump on tablets out of the gate, and I think they'll continue to hold that lead next year as well while everyone tries to play catch-up with their inferior OS's.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My wife uses the Wii everyday. Wii Fit. My daughter plays twice a week. Plenty of content for the right market. I use my iPad 10 hours a day. There is unlimited content on the Internet, most of which is available to an iPad user.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thurrott is a blowhard evangelist, not an "expert". I believe the colloquial term is "fanboy". Unfortunately there are many more of these (regardless of platform) than there are real experts or even legitimate pundits.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Though I'd be more than happy to see Apple with 50% of the market it's highly unlikely they would see a gain as big as that in only 5 years.

6. mags631 Guest

Even if you narrowly defined a market to Apple's advantage, it would be quite a feat to reach 50% market share in 5 years.

7. bomsom macrumors member

+1. Apple is a single company does it all, they make the hardware and is the only one to make and sell the software too, no partners. It's a different business model, a good one in my opinion. I agree with their philosophy of making the software for that specific hardware and vice-versa.

Microsoft (and now Google too) makes software compatible with a lot of hardware manufacturers, a plethora of PCs, notebooks, netbooks, phones... And they are almost always cheaper than Apple's. This counts for marketshare.

It's hard to imagine one company take over all the others like this.

8. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I thought so too when I read that, but if the iPad starts being considered an Apple computer in those stats, it's not too hard to fathom actually. The Mac, selling around 10-12 million units per year has reached 10% marketshare. If the iPad sells according to analyst predictions of as many as 43 million units next year (which I do think is optimistic, so let's say that's across two years), it's still far more than Macs are selling, and could potentially boost Apple's share of the PC market up to 20% or even 30% in two years. 50% in five years is not unthinkable. I think it's very plausible the iPad and similar tablet devices will have become the dominant computer form factor 5 years from now.

It's crazy to imagine Apple having a 50% marketshare, but strangely possible, all of a sudden, with the iPad.

Edit: oh, and yes: Paul Thurrott = Microsoft fanboy of ridiculous levels.

9. MasterTick macrumors 6502

So just because Thurrott makes this statement makes him a delusional fanboy? Please...

He owns and uses many Apple products.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What specific article are you referring to about Thurrott? As of late, he's been fairly complimentary of Apple's iDevices.

Apple would love to sell as many iPads as Nintendo has the Wii. Not to mention, clearly Nintendo was on to something because both Microsoft and Sony jumped on the motion bandwagon.

The problem with comparing the iPad to the Wii is Apple will continue to advance the iPad (we all know there's a new iPad coming out next Spring), and Nintendo has pretty much let the Wii stall.

The Wii has seen no hardware upgrades whatsoever (except additional accessories like Wii MotionPlus) since its release in 2006.

But you never know about Nintendo. They might blow us away next year at E3 with Wii HD.

The only problem I have with the Wii is third-party titles suck compared to Nintendo's first party gems like Twilight Princess, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, etc. While most of the year the Wii gathers dust, once Nintendo ships another first-party title is back in the spotlight for awhile in my household (bring on Donkey Kong Country Returns).

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I listen to Thurrott a on Windows Weekly, and I have got to say he is pretty complimentary of Apple for the most part.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah although Windows Weekly Thurrott is a lot different than the snarky remarks he makes on his blog. I guess Leo Laporte balances him out.

13. yodaxl7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He is heavily invested on the window phone 7 success, since he authors a book on it and also window os, too. He had said that he was a pro-tech first, before he is a window fanboy or linux fanboy.

If you watched Windows weekly today, he is upset with Microsoft. However, he does believe Microsoft is still in the game. I agree Microsoft will be around for a while. I don't see it being a monolopy for too long, though. There is room for other operating system with pc computers like os X and maybe chrome.

Also in response to another post: Apple is selling about 12 million macs so far this year. I suspect that apple will sell about 15 million by year end. I also think apple will sell 12 million iPads and 3 million macbook air. So, that's 30 million computers this year.

14. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I haven't watched the new one yet but he just prefers MS products, like all of us prefer Apple. I don't think that makes him a fanboy. If you want to see fanboy just look at the Engadget comments on an iPhone or Android related post.

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I haven't used my Wii in months! I should have purchased a PS3 instead.

On your other subject, what apps are you using to become 99.9% paperless?

16. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Well I guess it's possible he's lightened up a bit since I last read his site about two or three years ago, when he was saying how much better Vista is than Tiger.

17. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Has ANYONE cared what L.L. has had to say in like the last 5 years? I used to watch "The Screen Savers" back in the day and I thought he was an idiot back then too...

18. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I think Leo is great! I watch a lot of his shows on TWiT and he doesn't come off as dumb at all.

Now on his radio broadcast he often gives advice that I wouldn't recommend but that show isn't geared towards me anyways.

19. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I enjoy listening to his podcasts...