Paul Thurrott's Switching to Windows Guide

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmadlena, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jmadlena Guest

I occasionally read Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows for some useful analysis. But lately, I have been seeing Paul become even more hostile to anything Apple. He seems to be more worried about Apple, now that they pose an actual threat to Microsoft (at least in his eyes).

But today I was floored by an upcoming article. "Switching from Mac to Windows. You know you want to."

I know that I am going to have a great time reading it. In my mind, that is a stupid premise for an article because most (if not all) Mac users have Windows experience, or even grew up using Windows (like myself). I 'switched' because of that experience, and I don't intent to switch back.

There are some users though that are 50% Mac users, 50% Windows users, but the article is still irrelevant to them because they aren't interested in switching one way or the other, I would think.

And then there are the Windows fans, and they would already agree with the article, so what is the point for them to read it?

At least to me it seems like just a shot at Apple, rather than trying to be a very useful article. What do you guys think?

http://www.winsupersite.com/

Attached Files:

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just flame bait. Watch out for the comments section, that'll be a laugh :).

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Aw man the actual guide isn't even ready yet. :(

I find it funny how the Apple icon with the arrow pointing to the Windows icon reminded me of mounting a .dmg file and how some of them have instructions of how to drag the app to the Applications folder. :D

Anyway, I switched from Windows also. Windows gave me occasional problems, but never any horror stories. I never downloaded stupid things and I still have a 5 year old XP desktop that works just fine. (Hell, I did some pretty heavy video projects with just 512mb's of RAM and a Radeon 8500 at one point.. the system gasped for air a lot of the time but hey, it made it :p)

I'll never have a strong hatred against Windows like some users do, but I do feel that Mac OS really impresses me. It has a beautiful UI and a lot of very intuitive functions that make working a whole lot more enjoyable only if you're able to get used to them though.

Some people that are too used to Windows will find adapting to OSX very difficult and will prefer to just stay in their ways. For these people, Vista suits them just fine. My mom isn't too good with computers and has used Windows all her life, so her HP laptop does everything she wants it to do. The switch isn't for everyone.

So yeah, Windows isn't horrible. I just find OSX leaps and bounds more usable.

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

The reason for the article is because it's his career. That's all he does, and it's how he makes money. I suspect the article will be nothing more than than flaming Apple, saying they're over priced, for less $$$ you get more power, and all the slew of applications there are for Windows vs. Apple. Lastly, he'll cover how all the thing that come with a new Mac can be done in Windows [i.e. iMovie vs. Winblows Movie, iTunes vs. Winblows Media Player].

I used to read his site fairly regularly. But after a while I realized he really doesn't know that much, in terms of technology. If you read any of his past articles they all sound the same...

At the end of the day we all know OS X is better than Vista.

Oh, and I realize it's BETA, and could change. But take a look at his sites review on Windows 7. For all those that think Windows 7 will be some rewrite, and state of the art OS think again. If it stays the same, it's Vista SP2, and nothing else. I don't think OS X has too much to worry about...

5. pinktank macrumors 6502

not all mac users are of windows pasts though, there are many people there who grew on macs

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i love his top 10 fav apps (on the right column on this page)

What an amusing website...

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Yeah. MS Paint is quite the killer app. It's changes so much from Windows 3.11 to Vista...LOL

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he only does things like this for one reason: hits. this will be linked all over and he'll get tons of hits and that which means more money for him. don't read it, don't read his website and he'll eventually go away

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

He prefers windows and big deal. We prefer OS X. So he is getting a guide together, big deal, Apple already has one. So it says "You know you want to" big deal, Apple says "Hello I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC."

I've read his site from time to time, I never took it as a h8r site, but just a "Windows" site that also does some Mac eval. Yes it's obvious he's biased, but aren't we all in some form or fashion?

10. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting reading. His reviews of the iPhone I believe were solid. His reviews of OS X have some good insights, though I think he's off base on some critiques.

And there are certainly anti-switchers from OS X to Windows: the removal of macros / VB from Office 2008 guarantees it.

And OS X can have its flukes: someone recently switched his mom to OS X. Five months in, the computer is unusable from chronic kernel panics. That sort of (unusual) experience could push someone to switch back to Windows.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I agree, plus the learning curve can aggravate most of the non-savvy people as well. My dad is one who has a hard time navigating around my mom's machine but he says "I'm giving it an honest shot."

Neither OS is perfect, but I have to agree, I have a lot less daily, weekly, monthly, yearly worry with OS X.

Paul's site is 90% windows so that's what it is, mostly a windows site. As the 2nd coming said, we have to get past for Apple to succeed Microsoft must fail mentality. Apple pokes at MS, so why would it not be fair for some MS sites to poke at Apple a bit.

As far as Paul's reviews being a little off, it's more than likely due to his inexperience with OS X and Apple products which is perfectly understandable.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

TBH, out of all apps I miss from Windows, Paint is the one I miss the most.

There is no genuine like for like alternative in Mac OS X.

I got told to pirate Photoshop when I asked on another forum...

I think a lot of Paul's points are quite valid and at the end of the day, it's not really any different to Walt Mossberg's switch from Windows to Mac guides.

13. jmadlena thread starter Guest

I'm not saying Mac fanboys (myself included) are at all free from bias. I know we lean to the Mac side. Everyone is in one way or another; that being said, I still think the switching to Windows guide is a bit funny, though. I honestly believe that most Mac users have had Windows experience, and would never go back (again, myself included). It isn't that Windows totally sucks, it is just that I think Mac OS is much more elegantly designed. I think a lot of Mac users are this way, too.

A Switch to Mac guide is essential for Apple because there are people who have never thought about not using Windows, or never known that something other than Windows even exists; every Mac user has heard of Windows, and knows of the reasons why they might want to use it instead of Mac OS X. That is my point: Windows doesn't need a switch guide because it is in no way unknown to people. It is the most known system, so there wouldn't be a necessity for a guide, I would think.

I agree about 'for Apple to succeed Microsoft has to fail' counter-point. Both companies can coexist, and I hope they do. But I don't agree with the part about his reviews being off because of his inexperience with Apple products. Before you review something or totally blast it, you should use it. If Paul is bashing a product he doesn't understand, he shouldn't include that in his review. I think Paul has plenty of experience with Apple products, though; he owns an iPhone, iPods and an :apple:TV; so he has no shortage of Apple knowledge.

I just think he is tired of Apple's 'smug' attitude (most notably the Mac vs PC commercials) as many of us are. But I think he takes out his frustration in the wrong ways.

14. lewisd23 macrumors newbie

I am 80/20 mac to windows. My desktop is OS X my laptop is Windows. I was a full time windows user until about a year ago.

And I think this guide will be pretty stupid, and point less. Seems like just another to try and slow down the switchers from windows to mac.

15. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

You might try looking at Paintbrush, its pretty much a straight rip off of MS Paint.

http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/

16. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

To be honest, I have not yet figured him out.

Outwardly he is a common, blatant shill for all things Microsoft. On occasion he praises Apple products but he seems to be extremely careful to not fully endorse an Apple product over a corresponding Windows product, even it is superior whether it a small or large margin.

When he does this he is eroding not only his own credibility but also that of Microsoft. Even some of my son's gaming friends, who are big Microsoft fans, think he a complete moron because of this.

Perhaps the funniest thing about Paul is his position of Apple "being a non-factor" yet he continually reviews all things Apple.

Obviously he knows Apple is a threat because Apple's market share keeps growing steadily.

I love it.
    :D

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't think he's any different then an above-average user. He uses both OSX and Windows Vista. While in his reviews and articles it does seem a bit biased to Windows, its kinda expected. He's a PC user, and more so then the rest of us but at least he's willing to use Apple Products :)

But regardless, he's not the actual fanboy type. He doesn't stick with windows and say apple's bad entirely. Sure, there's some downsides that he talks about apple, but if you were to get mad over that, you, sir or madam, are a fanboy(girl).

Some people can do everything in OSX, other people do everything in Windows. Paul, similar to many users here, utilize both OS to help in their tasks.

Personally, I use windows to run several programs that I could run in OSX, but I chose not to because of lack of features or whatnot.

18. tri3limited macrumors 6502

He loves he Xbox... infact he's chucking his PS3. Does use an iPhone so you never know! lol.

He's the kind of person that makes me want to hate Microsoft even though i'm a huge admirer of their company (and, secretly, i love vista) even though OS X is by far and away the best change in my life to date!

I need to get out more!

19. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Don't go to his site. He's a troll and he makes money off of trolling for hits. Just ignore him and he'll go away.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Probably needs to increase his site traffic...

Controversy - what better way?

21. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Even before I converted to Mac's [this past March] I never cared for him. If you read his latest blog, and the section of "what he uses", he states he bought a brand new Macbook, but only run Windows on it.

Secretly, I think he's a "Closet Mac User". He tells everyone he has a Mac, but runs Windows, but really uses OS X. Even if he doesn't, he's a weasel...

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I have Paintbrush, but it just isn't right.

23. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

What's wrong with it? It's the clone of the best Windows app in existence. :D

24. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

It's no surprise that Paul is a Windows fan. He'll be the first to tell you, but he'll also tell you if Windows or MS in general are sucking or not. He also is very honest when it comes to Apple. He does tend to piss off the Mac fanboyz, but so what. Apple has dropped the ball a few times recently (MobileME.) Again...so what. Vista is not as bad as it was made out to be in the early days. Much like Leopard had it's share of problems in the beginning.

Paul is a good guy and I enjoy his podcast along with macbreak weekly.

:apple: