Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
OK, let me start by saying the only time I watch AI or X-Factor is for the auditions.

TRA-GIC!

But, I've just caught Paula Abduls performance on the last ep of American Idol.

B*TCH ROCKED THE HOUSE!!

Back flips, twirls, JUMPING off boxes into crowds of dancers, high kicks.. for a lady of a certain age who sits behind a desk judging people as to whether they should have a career in pop music, she performed her ass off and KILLED that thing.

Go Paula!!

Yes, she lipsynched. But.. I don't care. That wasn't a song, it was a performance, and she certainly did that.

Very impressed!

Now, I'm glad she's on the panel, to know that someone who actually *has* ability to attract people - like Cheryl in the UK.

That Danni Minogue though.. Hmmm.

Anyway, just very impressed.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Umm...sorry man, she blew. It was really tacky of her to lip sync and her dancing was mediocre at best. She should stick to choreography at least until she gets off the pain pills.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Umm...sorry man, she blew. It was really tacky of her to lip sync and her dancing was mediocre at best. She should stick to choreography at least until she gets off the pain pills.

Well I thought she did really well considering she doesn't really have a singing career.

Lots of people lipsynch -I'm fine with it. It was about the 'wow' factor, not her voice (which doesn't even sound like her).

I'm impressed by what she did, anyway.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well I thought she did really well considering she doesn't really have a singing career.

Lots of people lipsynch -I'm fine with it. It was about the 'wow' factor, not her voice (which doesn't even sound like her).

I'm impressed by what she did, anyway.

I'd like to see what she can do off the drugs, quite honestly. You know she finally owned up to that little problem, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/06/ent.paula.abdul/

Somehow I think she might still be using.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Paula had a few big hits 15 years ago, and while I think it's cool to see her sort 'out of retirement' I think she's past her prime. I can appreciate why she's on Idol (I don't see Randy Jackson at ALL) but she's too old to get out their and jump around with the young people on the show. She'll never be able to show them up, at least not currently.

Celine Dion can mesmerize the audience without all the fancy dancing; She takes the stage with a sort of confidence - not a lot of visual gags. Paula should do the same.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Paula had a few big hits 15 years ago, and while I think it's cool to see her sort 'out of retirement' I think she's past her prime. I can appreciate why she's on Idol (I don't see Randy Jackson at ALL) but she's too old to get out their and jump around with the young people on the show. She'll never be able to show them up, at least not currently.

Celine Dion can mesmerize the audience without all the fancy dancing; She takes the stage with a sort of confidence - not a lot of visual gags. Paula should do the same.

Celine Dion? I thought you were straight, Melrose? ;)

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I'd like to see what she can do off the drugs.

The article was written before she did the performance.

So if you're taking that article as truth, you did just see her off the drugs.

Agree.

I'm not saying she should become a performer and release singles etc.

I just think its good that she can at least perform - since she's sitting there judging other people, thats all.

The gay mafia are undoubtedly sharpening their knives as we type.

I'm just jealous she has more botox than me :p

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
The article was written before she did the performance.

So if you're taking that article as truth, you did just see her off the drugs.

I don't, really. There's obviously something still going on with her. She said in the article that she was never on drugs during the show. I think we all know that's a load of crap.

Don't get me wrong- good for her for trying, I just thought it was a bit embarrassing.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Celine Dion? I thought you were straight, Melrose? ;)

Appreciating someone's voice and talent hardly makes that decision for me, man.

I've liked Celine for as long as I can remember - but I grant you, while I have several of her CDs, they're not on my "Listen All The Way Through" list. On each of her albums you'll usually find two or three that are really good. Mostly it's just pop crap.

Come to think of it, I don't think there's a pop singer that came after Celine that I do like.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Appreciating someone's voice and talent hardly makes that decision for me, man.

I've liked Celine for as long as I can remember - but I grant you, while I have several of her CDs, they're not on my "Listen All The Way Through" list. On each of her albums you'll usually find two or three that are really good. Mostly it's just pop crap.

Come to think of it, I don't think there's a pop singer that came after Celine that I do like.

I was joking. ;)

Not a Celine fan, BTW. I'm more the indie rocker dude type. Can't stand gay drama divas. That's why so many people here find it shocking that I watch Idol every year. I don't like the vast majority of music on that show. I just like to watch people come up from obscurity and do well.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't see her performance and I don't actively watch the show (my wife does, and I sit on the couch next to her while on my MacBook), but isn't it a big pile of steaming BS that she's a judge on a singing-contest show and then when it was time for her to step up and perform (basically, to show everyone why she's qualified to be a judge) she lip synced?

I mean, WTF is that?

If I were one of the contestants, I'd be pretty annoyed.

You may as well have Britney Spears be a judge on the show because that's what she does at her concerts- she lip syncs and dances.

Wait a sec, why am I here? Why do I care again? :p:D

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Oh Paula... She's one sad mess nowadays, isn't she?

I don't follow those Idol shows, but Paula does seem like a nice and sweet lady: I love "Straight Up", and loved it even more when I heard Halifax's punk-rock version. That's about it as far as her tracks go for me. She's harmless.

As for Celine Dion... I find her utterly repulsive. She started her career as here in Canada as a Taylor Dane wannabe. Then she got a makeover and became the anthem for weddings and found her audience. A journalist once wrote the entire point of her career was to be a tax write-off, and I think that's the best description of her. Her voice, music and entire persona is so blend and lacking in any passion and individuality. I fail to understand how anyone can say she has a great voice.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I didn't see her performance last night, but if in fact she did lip sync that is horrible!! That says a lot about her and the show :(

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Two words.

Auto. Tune.

I don't mind it if they lip-sync in a very physical performance, singing is going to sound awful in that sort of situation anyway but what annoys me is when people lip-sync and the stuff they're lip-syncing to is just massively effected. At least have the talent to get the words out in a studio on your own.

Not saying she's untalented, we know she was but if you can't do a song without auto-tune then don't do the song.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Two words.

Auto. Tune.

I don't mind it if they lip-sync in a very physical performance, singing is going to sound awful in that sort of situation anyway but what annoys me is when people lip-sync and the stuff they're lip-syncing to is just massively effected. At least have the talent to get the words out in a studio on your own.

Not saying she's untalented, we know she was but if you can't do a song without auto-tune then don't do the song.

Paula is obviously a good choreographer. But she should leave the performing of it to someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.