Pause on one Apple TV, Pick up on another?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MauriceMoss, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

Hi,

Can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere. We currently have a 2nd generation apple tv, and are looking to get a newer one, and put the older one on the tv down stairs. If we were watching a movie and paused it on the upstairs tv, would it have you choose "resume" or "start from beginning" on the downstairs TV? Or would it act like you haven't been watching it recently.

Thanks!

2. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

As far as I know it would ask you "Resume" or "Start From Beginning", however my experience is for example starting a movie on an iOS device and resuming on the Apple TV. I don't see why Apple TV - to - Apple TV would be any different.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have two Apple TVs. If I pause or quit watching in the living room, go into the bedroom and choose the same movie or TV show, it asks if I want to resume or start from beginning. I think this is a basic feature across all of Apple's iTunes platforms.

Every now and then it seems to get confused about the exact spot where I stopped watching though. I don't think this usually happens when switching between Apple TVs, but when I go from watching directly in iTunes to the Apple TV, or using home sharing to watch the same show on my MBA. Have not really figured out the pattern here, but it doesn't happen very often and isn't a big deal.

4. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

We have several Apple TV's (4) in the house and we view media stored on a Windows-based iTunes server using Homesharing. If you begin viewing a movie located on the server, on any ATV, then pause & exit, go to another ATV, the option to 'resume' appears on the second ATV. If you then open that same movie from an iOS device, the playback resumes from where it was left.

A strange issue exists though. If you watch that movie on the iOS device for a short while and then return to any ATV, that progress made on the iOS device is not kept. Maybe this will be fixed or maybe it's just by design.

5. MauriceMoss thread starter macrumors member

MauriceMoss

That's what I needed to know!

Thanks everyone... Now I just have to wait to see if the recent rumors were wrong or not before I go buy a second one!

6. rayward macrumors 68000

I suspect that this is because you are streaming to your ATVs from your main iTunes library, but content on your iDevice is synced and held locally.

7. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I was under the impression that the content was streamed to the iDevice. For example if I disconnect from the WiFi network the playback stops.