Pavarotti Dead at 71.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by furious, Sep 5, 2007.

1. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Link

Sad news. He was very much the face of opera. Is all ways sad to see such a great talent lost.

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sad. Now it's up to Placido Domingo and the other guy to pick up the slack.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well that is the sad thing about Pavarotti. For most people he was one of the "Three Tenors Act" — like a circus act — and not remembered for the incredible singer he was for decades before. :(

He certainly was no great all-round artist — with that amount of weight he was severely hampered on stage — but in his prime he had a glorious voice.:)

BTW, he died from pancreatic cancer. The same that Steve Jobs was diagnosed with a couple years ago right? :(

"The other guy" I guess you mean Jose Carreras?

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sad news indeed. He was one of the performers, in this country at least, who opened opera up to the wider public.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I heard earlier today that he was "in the process of kicking the bucket"

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Was very sad. I have a few of his recordings and I'm sure playing them over the next few days will bring a tear to my eye.

Just a stunning voice and by all accounts, a gentleman.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Well, he was honoured as one of the greatest fundraisers for the UN Refugee Council, but he also fiddled his taxes, was fined millions by the Italian government, had a series of affairs (in a way that upset much of the italian public, where affairs are a way of life), was branded a traitor to the italian nation, got thrown out of the Chicago opera (they swore never to work again with him) cos of his unreliablity and lateness, and pissed off many other people in the industry with his unreliablity.

Well, nobody's perfect.

I'm still getting over my shock at finding out about (typographer and sculptor) Eric Gill's secret life.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Ah well, he always publically came over as a gentleman in interviews ;)

Yes... now that was eyepopping :eek:

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Very sad. I was a big fan of his. Heard awhile ago that he wasn't doing to well. Professionally, he was a diva in more ways than one. And his personal life was very screwed up. But he was a nice enough guy, at least to his fans and most of those who worked with him, and a great talent. Always willing to work with charities as well. He was one of those I looked up to back when I was learning opera.

I'll have to go find his albums somewhere and play some of them later. :(

11. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

not being a religious man, but if i was, he's got a pretty good gig now

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

No one nailed Nessun Dorma like he. The world has lost a huge voice.

13. Queso macrumors G4

I saw him perform with Domingo and Carreras in Pretoria back in 1999. He had a voice that could make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. An amazing talent, and a real loss.

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think for most British people, it will always be 1990 when Pavarotti came to their attention, when the BBC used his version of Nessun Dorma for their World Cup theme music.

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Such a beautiful voice -- so clean and warm and soft. He could hit a high C and make it sound easy. He also brought so much attention to a beautiful artform that had struggled for decades. :(

16. saxman macrumors 6502

As a professional musician myself, I have many influences. In my specialty, saxophone, I don't have one player that I think is ideal. The same is true for the brass and string players I listen to. There are aspects of many players I admire. However, with voice, I have no greater maker for a beautiful sound than Mr. Pavarotti. In my opinion he was unmatched in tonal quality. Vocalist or instrumentalist.

Although his technique and stamina was not as good in recent years, in his prime I don't think anyone possessed a more musical sound of any style or genre, instrument or voice. Ignoring non-musical attributes of his personality (and his foray into mainstream music), I fear there is no one today that has such a beautiful tone quality. The world has lost a special voice

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Surely you did not mean that literally... ;)

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This really shocked me. Me and Caroline were having breakfast when we found out, opera is a big part of her life (brought up on it, her mum was an opera singer etc..). BBC News showed that clip of him singing at the world cup, and he cries at the end. Made me get a little teary eyed too :eek:

20. gazelleintense macrumors regular

gazelleintense

not into opera, but that dude sure could sing.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sure did. He had the voice, but have you seen his backstage rider? Google it, he was definitely a diva in both senses of the word. Er, except that he was a dude. And a womanizer at that.

I'm still going to miss though. :(

Then why did you click on the thread?

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you kidding? :eek:

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The reason I ask is that by definition, a diva is a woman. Maybe it was the beard that fooled me. ;)

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp