PAX Day 1 & 2, Pics from the Floor, 56k will weep a bit

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Aug 29, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

So here I am wasted away again in Margaritaville.

[​IMG]

What a damn nightmare! My boss made my work this morning so I had to deal with the freakin hour + border line up, tons of traffic, rain... ugh!

But whatever! I got here a few hours ago and spent it all walking around the show floor looking at all the new crap.

I b-lined it for Sony and watched some dudes playing LBP on a monster of a TV. The lineup was long as hell so I didn't get to play but it looks rad. Some dude from Media Molecule was explaining it but unfortunately I couldn't hear :(

Resistance Retribution was playable, but again, long ass line up. The were mirroring it on a big LCD and it actually looked okay. A bit jaggy but honestly, it looked like or better than a PS2 game. The 3rd person thing was a odd but it looked a lot of Resistance 1 gameplay.

I played Valkryia Chronicles as well, before I got booted off by some dude from RPG.net or something like that. It's a really awesome looking and different than I expected. The producer was talking to me about it (which was kinda cool, felt like some nerdy big shot) explaining it all, he says 40-50 hours long, the game rates you on every battle so you can always try to get higher rankings, around 60 characters to obtain, battles take about an hour or 45 minutes to complete. Played well but it was a very short demo. Still cool. Yakuza 2 was there as well, which looked... a lot like Yakuza 1 but whatever, that game was rad.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/sikkinixxkixx/PAX/IMG_0012.jpg

Left 4 Dead had a HUGE ass line but looked oh so sweet. My want of it has just shot up about 10 points. Intense action and it runs butter smooth. A lot more gore than I thought would be in it. The zombies are kinda freaky since some move so far you can barely react by the looks of things (or maybe the players I watched just sucked)

[​IMG]

more in a bit, wanna try to talk to Shawn Elliot

The live taping of 1up Yours is crazy busy, Garnett is drunk and bein all macho and such. Oh well!

[​IMG]

Since it was full I went back to the show floor and found Mirror's Edge (which is packed... notice the theme) since they only have 2 booths for it but TONS of people lining up for it. The dudes playing sucked and kept dying but it looks really amazing. The style is through the roof.

Mercs 2 was playable but I only got a second with it. Seems fun. Lots of stuff exploding.

Battlefield Heroes was playable, and I got a beta key (YAY) I also have an extra for someone if they want it!

[​IMG]

I saw Fallout 3, it looks interesting but... I dunno something doesn't seem right. The action looks fun (somewhat un-Fallout like but still) lots of gore, etc. The graphics are good but not amazing, I just think to text in game and the UI looks... I dunno kinda meh. It's a bit disappointing. I was talking to some dude who seems to know his Fallout and he seemed to love it but.. yeah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

er... yeah thats about all I can remember. I'm listening to 1up Yours being taping (people are hooting like nuts) before I find something to eat.

This was tucked away, a PC inside an aquarium that is cooled by mineral oil

[​IMG]

I will upload to pics after.

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

LBP is so much fun. I think it would be worth standing in line.

....But hey, who I am to be talking I didn't wait at all and played for 1.5hrs at Summerfest :p.

Anyway, sounds like fun. Is there anything about Mirror's Edge? That game looks pretty interesting.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Mirror's Edge is at the EA booth (which is huge) but big line ups to play it. Tomorrow I will suck it up and wait in line :p

The plan for tomorrow is to head out early to the show floor and try to get into Little Big Planet and Fallout 3. There is a presentation of Fallout in the main hall in the afternoon so I will be sure to get there in time for that, as I really do want to like the game, and a guided demo showing more than just a brief snippet might be enough to get me feeling it.

I am also going to try to stalk down Shawn Elliott from GFW (again) as the community manager Tina (who is very cute) whisked him away before I could ask him a few things.

Also, I am really surprised at the hot chick population, a lot more than I expected, even a few booth babes (though most are skinny and kinda... yeah not hot)

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I watched some tech demos of Fallout 3. I don't know what to think about the slo-motion death shots. It seems that after a bit they would get old.

<]=)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

SK....think Dead Space, Silent Hill & NCSoft....I'm kinda interested in Blades & Soul if its there.

Bless

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just looked in the little booklet EA gave out and Dead Space is indeed here. Is just not at the main EA booth (those rich dicks have 3!!!) I will take a peek at it when the floor opens up.

7. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Day 2 has ended for me. Bed at 1am then up at 6:30 to get there before traffic parking chaos is all I handle!

STILL didn't play a lot of what I wanted to play. It's just too insane and waiting in line for an hour to play Left 4 Dead ain't my thing. Some dude around me out it best when he said "you know how all these games will play, a shooter is a shooter, it's just rad to see them in action".

Dead Space for 2ny. Watched a couple play throughs, didn't wanna wait in the massive line to play. The zero gravity thing looks neat but the puzzles were kinda... lame and easy. It is probably near the beginning so it will likely progress as things go on. The game definately borrows from Resident Evil 4. The shooting mechanics, the action even when you get bit are all very RE like. The dismemberment angle is kinda cool, I just wish the dude's playing would stop shooting them in the chest and try to slice the baddie's head off or something!!!

[​IMG]

Need for Speed: Undercover was actually really fun. It was just a short demo of a race but still really good. The setup they had was totally sweet, it just had the MS wheel (I wanna get one now) but the chair and such made it feel really arcadey. The game itself was a fast race on a freeway weaving in and out of traffic. It was a bit weird going from Burnout Paradise and all it's awesome crashes to really no penalty for crashing aside from some slowdown. Still, kinda cool. The PR dude said it was more like the older NFS game which is a good thing for sure since those old one's were rad.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/sikkinixxkixx/PAX/IMG_0042.jpg

I am not digging Saint's Row 2. Looks really bad and just doesn't click with me. Played for a bit and walked away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't played Red Fraction since the first one but it was weird to see it in 3rd person. It was kinda fun to play death match style. Jetpacks were sweet as you could fly over a wall and surprise your enemy. But since the game looks a lot like an early 360 game and there was NO BODY playing it... I don't get a good feeling about it. I wonder if single player will be cooler? more destruction?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SWEET! GOTY!

[​IMG]

Besides Gears 2, this game had a lot of people stroking their game boners. I can't believe how good it looks graphically. Like it's not OMG at first but there are so many little details that make it really stunning. Gameplay looks a lot like classic SC though the Zerg look like the play a lot differently. I wanted to play but long wait and I am horrible at it so yeah... no need to embarrass myself in front of ton of people.

[​IMG]

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS! (who I am to talk?) ;)

[​IMG]

Some good costume action

[​IMG]

Lots of crowds around gears 2. It is right at the entrance to the floor so the traffic there never stops. It looks fantastic graphically, even better than gears 1 which is still probably in the top 5 graphics wise (crappy art style aside). But really, it's more Gears, whatev, I'll play it this fall.

[​IMG]

Spore seems to be a big hit. An odd game to have playable since it takes hours to play a game. Looks really nice. Didn't see much action though...

[​IMG]

Some of the crap I have picked up. Notice the awesome fabric of the bed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Are you serious :confused:

Anyways, must be awesome to be there, great pics and impressions, how many people attend PAX anyways?

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I REALLY want that beta key.
    And by really... I mean really.
    Please :).

EDIT: So you are on.... reply to my pm :D.
    Waits for more sweet pictures.

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I heard over 45,000 tickets were sold before the event started, like pre-registration. Organizer dude from PAX said he was hoping for over 50,000 this year. I would believe it too, it's nuts. and the girl in blue had a great ass in spandex pants :p

Thar ye go! Sent! I have 2 more left if anyone wants them (I took a bit extra when the booth babe wasn't looking)

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Hmmm, error. Did you type it right? Could you double check, or send me a different one?
    Waits some more. There we go. Thanks :). Booting Parallels to download, then booting boot camp tomorrow to play!

13. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I tried this out for a bit in the morning. HAWX (god that spelling bugs me). Looks really nice, like... really nice. Super clean, no slow down. Controls were standard fare for a flying game, which I suck at, but I actually blew something up so I was happy. The booth chick was cute and seemed to really know what was going on. Ubisoft had the Frag Dolls hosting the booth.

[​IMG]

Staying at the Ubisoft booth, Far Cry 2. It was on the friz most of the day, I dunno what was up so I didn't get to play it. Looks okay I guess. After playing Crysis Warhead (which had some intense crap blowing up) it felt like meh. I know it's a big wide open game and the night/day thing and the fire etc. But short little demo didn't have too much from what I saw. Graphics are nice, I wanna see it on PC (high res ftw) but the animations of jumping in and out of vehicles etc were great. Shooting looked like.... er... a shooter.

[​IMG]

FEAR 2!! Now this game looks purdy. Too bad the whole destroyed city thing is a bit cliche. Felt a lot like CoD4, and looked a lot like it. I died before I got to the mech part, which kinda sucked. And I was kicked off because some media dude needed to play. Weak sauce. Lots of blood.

[​IMG]

Lego Batman was playable but I just glanced at it. Looks like Lego Star Wars with Batman. Joker and Harleyquinn were the characters when I was watching.

[​IMG]

FABLE II!!! ZOMG T3H HYPE!! Long line to play so I skipped it. Gameplay seemed kinda meh... disappointing. I imagine it was early on so there wasn't a ton of magic or anything. Seemed like there was no HUD at all, and the dude was just swinging his sword around like nuts. They should have let you have an orgy while wearing a condom to get an achievement :p

[​IMG]

God I just saw all these pics full size... they are awful... ugh I need a new camera.

anyways... er.. This is the best game idea ever. The dude told me it will be out this fall for $20. I couldn't get how to play the game. I guess I fail.

[​IMG]

This guy had a cool thing going. He made this companion cube and was getting all the 'celebrities' to sign it. Saw all the Frag Dolls, a Fallout producer and some people from MS sign it.

[​IMG]

Mercs 2 looks fun. Didn't stop to play it. I figure it's already out anyway ;)

[​IMG]

I think this is that Veronica something-or-another from G4. Lots of dudes who hadn't left their basement in the last decade were following here around, I guess thats why she had security guards. I passed by her in a hall later, she is a good lookin girl, lots of double-takes from dudes :p

[​IMG]

I tried this one out. Kinda neat. You set up you town Desktop Defense style when enemies start to pour in. You can use the stylus to move around and attack enemies. When you click on them, a little (1) -- (2) -- (3) pops up but in random order. You need to click on the numbers in order before the little timer bar runs out to hit them, then it adds a 4th number, repeat, a 5th number, etc. Till the guy dies. It was kinda cool actually. Someone hopped on before I could take a pic of the game itself.

[​IMG]

Someone made some Penny Arcade cake. But I loved the description card.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was sitting by these guys. That is the back of Shane Bettenhausen from 1Up Yours being on the Evil Avatar Radio podcast. I just heard the wrap up of the segment they were doing. Shane walks like a bodybuilder, chest out, something I wasn't really expecting, seems like a gangsta kinda dude....

[​IMG]

Katamari!

[​IMG]

Lastly, I played WipeOut HD. LOOKS AMAZING!!! ZOFMGZ!11one! no lie. I love Wipeout so not too much new but it looks so good. I can't wait.

[​IMG]

Oh I played Resistance 2 multiplayer. It seems really cool. A lot like the first but with more crap going on. My little group had the objective to shut down these communication emitters. Fast action like the first, the new magnum gun sucks but the Halo 3-esc bubble shield is cool. You are constantly getting XP during the game which is cool. Your XP bar is always onscreen. No pics tho :(

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Wow, it all looks like a bunch of fun!

On a side note: I'm installing Battlefield :). It's really messed up (the install window) the info section is white and the install bar is non-existent (see through. Hopefully it's doing something :).

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Can I get a beta key too? Ive been wanting to play it since I loved 1942... I signed up for the first round of betas but never got picked.

Its Morgan Webb, she was a co-host on Tech TV shows The Screensavers and X-Play until it got bought out by G4, now she probably just does X-Play. The Screensavers used to be a really popular show among tech geeks when it was on Tech TV (G4 changed it to "attack of the show" and is has sucked ever since). Veronica Belmont just does podcasts for Engadget and I think that new Sony PSN subscription thing, not television (to my knowledge).

16. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sure, I'll PM you one.

1 left for anyone else. I will grab some more tomorrow.

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

A Portal shirt?????? Sweeeeet.

(Heroes installed :D)

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, whats up with the wrestle mania cartridge....think I didn't see that one huh;)

Were there any other PSN/XBL titles there to play?
    So its media first then nerds(not that you're a nerd of anything ;) ) huh....seeing as they pushed you out the way for a media dude.

BF:Heros looks really good....whats the minimum requirements to run it? I'd like to get in on the beta but I don't know if my PC can handle it.

Girl in the blue don't look all that bad.

Bless

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Haha, ya. What's up with that?

Umm... minimum specs. Hmm, they don't seem to be anywhere on the beta site. I've got in running on boot camp on my 24" 2.4 GHZ 2GB ram iMac. Everything on high and res at full. I've been playing it for a while this morning. Seems like a pretty solid third person shooter. On of the best free to play games I've played. Only 2 levels in the beta and I haven't noticed any unlockables.

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'd like one if you still have it :)

21. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

They had some old ass games for sale. It was $1! how could I not? I'm gonna have to fire up my Genesis when I get home.

There were some XBLA games like Castle Crashers and a bunch of the XNA games but nothing too note worthy. Kinda weird I know, I was expecting more.

Hows does it run? I'm gonna install it tonight when I get home. This one dude had a totally awesome Portal shirt of a stick figure dude kicking another guy into a hole then the guy falling out of a a portal on top with the caption "THIS IS PORTAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL" lol 300 rules

I'll PM it to you.

Thats the last one, since I feel rather craptastic this morning I think I am going to skip the mayhem of PAX and start the trek home. The border line up is probably gonna suck... argh!

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Seems fine. It's a pretty decent game overall. It is very beta-ish with tons of missing stuff. As some examples... there are no unlockables and 2 levels. Also, when I completed a challenge it said. Congratulations, you've unlocked this! With a blank space. Tons of stuff like that :p. But it works, and it's pretty cool.

I also got mercs today. I'm pretty confused with the reviews. The game is great! Way better than the first one and so much stuff. I'm 44% though. But I think that's story related and not the tons of side missions.

23. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I kinda wish I had seen the end of the Omegathon, Excite Bike!!!

I installed Battlefield Heroes. I like it, looks great (very TF2) but good god it takes like 30 bullets to kill a dude... thats insane, it's easier just to drive around and run people over. Even tank shells don't kill people in one shot...

24. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Haha, yup. But the nice thing is you get XP for each hit :D.