PAX East - Tips for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by musicpenguy, Apr 10, 2014.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

PAX East is this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else is planning on going or has been in the past.

I'll be attending on Saturday and I'm wondering what tips you have and what the must see booths will be at this year's event. I think Oculus Rift will be awesome as I've never tried that, but beyond that what should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks!!!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never been to PAX but I have been to Eurogamer Expo, GamesCom, E3 and some smaller shows in the UK. It's probably just like those so expect a big room that smells just awful.

Take snacks, lots of water and handheld consoles= be prepared for giant queues. Don't use the public toilets unless you absolutely have to, if you have access to the private zones use those toilets! Put on lots of deodorant in the morning, and aftershave/anything else. Wear comfy shoes. If you're going to try the Rift out take a precautionary dose of paracetamol or whatever you personally use if you feel a bit motion sick, the first try is a doozy!

The people demoing are usually from that studios QA or Production department, they will know everything about the game! And they will be watching how you play it.

If you have a 3DS be prepared for lots of Streetpass hits. You can store up to 20 people (pull 10 down at the Streetpass 'Entrance' and queue another 10 up).

3. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Oh man, I'm jealous...give a shout-out to the Star Citizen crew for me! Oculus Rift sounds pretty cool, too.

In line with Dagless's advice above, I'd bring a backpack, so you can keep your valuables with you all the time (like when you are seeing if the public toilets are safe), pack some snacks & water in there so you can wait in long lines....and I would hope the backpack would also help you haul around any swag the PR people are giving out!

4. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips - they did help out - especially the storing of StreetPassing - because wow - I got hundreds of StreetPasses and completed tons of my puzzle pieces

Oculus was rather amazing, but what I really loved was Johann Sebastian Joust with the PS Move controller - what a cool game

Will try to make this a 3 day event for me next year instead of just the 1 day !

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Joust was there? Oh man, I love that game. I really hope they make a Vita version so it can be played in its optimal setting: in the woods at night!

I also meant to say bring plenty of storage for taking swag home! Especially if you go on the final day and get showered in goodies.

6. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea Joust had a drum circle like room setup at night where we would pass it off at random - a really fun environment - in the woods at night does sound great - I'd want a proper speaker setup though :)

There was a Joust tournament prior to when I got there that I hear was even more intense.

A really cool use of the move controller and I can imagine if I was growing up now it'd be an amazing game to play with my siblings or friends - hard to find local multiplayer folks these days