Pay a second time for iOS 7 apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bmac4, Jul 19, 2013.

1. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

So I read this story on gizmodo talking about developers thinking about making people pay for the new apps for iOS 7 even if they already own it. This has to be the craziest thing I have heard. When android went from gingerbread to ICS developers did not charge again. 2.3 to 4.0 android was just as big of an overhaul as iOS 6 to iOS 7. I came back to my iphone 5 because I liked the ecosystem, and going back and forth cost a lot of money if you have pai for apps. One reason people stick with iPhones is because they love the Apple ecosystem, and don't want to pay for apps again. This kind of throws that out the window. I don't like it, and I think Apple should do something about it. If developers try to do this.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/would-you-pay-for-apps-you-already-own-again-in-ios-7-841026625

2. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Reading anything on Gizmodo was your first mistake ;)

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

True story!

4. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Yea I know guys, but it was sourced from another site. I know some of their own stories are not the best, but when they have sources some of it has some legitimacy to it.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

#1: Don't believe everything you hear
    #2: Don't believe everything you read

They were "thinking" about it. But that wouldn't work out. Since you already own version X Apple isn't going to charge you again to download the same app.
    Now if they come out with a new version/release, its possible.
    But that IS NOT APPLES FAULT. That is up to the dev.

So if you're going to get upset or complain about something, make sure its aimed properly.

But don't count on this happening.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm not sure what your issue is. Are you expecting free updates for life? The point of the story is that iOS 7 is a good point for developers to renovate their apps and release a major new version and offer it at a reasonable price.

7. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

I know I don't believe everything, but just the thought of this did not make me very happy. I understand if something like Tapatalk makes Tapatalk 4 for the iPhone they charge again. But doing nothing but updating the app to look good on iOS 7 does not justify us paying for the app again. At least in my opinion.

----------

Yes, but I did not have to pay for my android apps again after ICS came out. A lot of those apps completely changed for ICS. What is the difference here?

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It's not gonna happen. Just relax, go outside, and play :eek:)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If they do this then by all means, I don't mind paying for apps I use daily. If they're going to charge just for the work they needed to do for their app to work on iOS 7, then that won't really fly. Then again, this could just be how things will go from here on out. For example, iPassword requires you pay each time they move from 1, 2, 3 etc. It isn't uncommon on OS X though.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nothing.

11. 960design macrumors 68020

I will not be charging for an iOS7 version of any of my apps. I don't know of anyone that will either. That would be asinine and the end of a company.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So beyond the fact that this is just conjecture from the Icon Factory as it clearly states in the article, this is "reporting" on it from Gizomodo, that it would be totally up to the developer and not Apple, not the other way around as you're stating, how would this be any different from devs charging more for iPad versions of the same App? Additionally, the backlash from Apple interfering with App pricing would be unbelievable regardless if you don't like it or not.

13. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

So then why is this seem ok to do this on iOS?

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Do what? Charge for a major new version? Why not? You made up the part about charging for "doing nothing but updating the app to look good on iOS 7" all by yourself. No one suggested that was going to happen.

Apple just did it themselves with the newest release of Logic.

(Ignoring the fact that developers have a hard time getting people to pay for anything on Android.)

15. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok so because people side load apps on android or pirate them. They choose not to charge for a major update for that reason?

Because you update your app for iOS 7 whether it be just to make it work on iOS 7, or a complete design change. Why should I pay for something I already paid for? When Facebook completely changes their look, and the app look I don't pay for the update. I paid for a checkbook app a long time ago. It has seen some big changes over time, but not once have they charged me again. Why should developers be trying to do this now? I paid for the rights to use the app already. I should not have to again.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Dude, this isn't even happening. Why are you getting so upset and acting like it is?

First, if you already own the app, you're not going to pay for it again. The worst developers could do is release an entirely new app designed for iOS 7, and charge for that. If that was the case, you would still own the old app which would function just as it always had.

But again, this isn't happening, so chill.

17. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

How am I getting upset? I think it would be stupid, but I am not mad. Why does everyone think I am upset about this? I am hoping it does not happen. I just wanted to get some thoughts on it. Sorry it you guys thought I was mad.

18. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Please don't put words in my mouth. I specifically said that I was ignoring the fact that Android is a horrible example.

You paid for the version that you got and any updates that the developer specifically promised you. You didn't pay for updates for life. I can't believe that this is really an argument. Charging for new versions of software has been going on for decades.

19. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Apps really they have been charging for app updates for decades? You also said no where you were ignoring android as an example. You said you were ignoring android could get people to pay for apps.

Well I guess I should get use to the new age. We get new designed apps for for a OS and we have to pay for them cool.

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm not too sure that this would be an issue as the most downloaded apps are:

a) Supported by some other funding model - e.g. Netflix has a subscription, Kindle lets you buy books

b) Games which only get supported for a limited time anyway

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Most developers so far have simply been updating their existing apps (even through major version updates) and nothing changed about them--your app that you had simply got update when you would get that update. Some developers would perhaps put in a significant redesign into a new version (perhaps new from the ground up) and decide to release it as a whole new app, even if it's just the "next" version of an existing one, in which case they might decide to do it for free or for some price, depending on how they feel about it, as if this was just any other new and different app.

This has pretty much always been the case even before iOS 7, and the trend for the most part is that it wasn't that common for it to happen, but it did happen.

Nothing in iOS 7 really changed that, it's still up to developers decide what they want to do--will more of them decide to do something different than what was common before simply because iOS 7 would be out? Perhaps, or perhaps not--nothing really out there to say one way or another for sure, but so far, with lack of any real evidence of a huge change underway, it sounds like it will be more or less like it was before.

22. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

I sure hope you are right. I have the Tapatalk app and have never updated to the never version because it cost. Adding new features to the update should not cost money. It is the same app just some new functions. Appld does not charge people for the new iOS updates, and they put a log of hard work and hours into it. Why should the developers be charging?

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why not? Do you work for free?

Apple is compensated for iOS development through hardware sales. Developers are not.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Each developer is different, it's the same way when it comes to desktop software, and been like that for years--sometimes updates/upgrades are free and other times they aren't, for different developers, different software, and/or sometimes different versions of software. I don't think iOS 7 or its release would really change that dynamic much one way or another.

25. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Then why does Apple charge for Mac OS updates? They make money off that hardware too.