Pay an activation fee everytime you replace an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimreaper1377, Aug 18, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Hi,

My GPS in my iPhone was defective, so I took it to an Apple Store today to get it replaced. It turns out I have to pay the $18 activation fee AGAIN even though I just paid it a week ago. Does everyone have to do this?

Thanks

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

No, you should not need to pay that. Call ATT and they should remove it no problem.

3. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

What the heck are you talking about?! Are you on crack?! All you do is take the SIM CARD out of your old iphone and put it in your new iphone. There is no activation fee, and AT&T needs to do nothing.

That's the JOY OF SIM CARDS. I am so happy to go back to AT&T from Verizon for that very reason.

Plus if you want to buy a cheap pre-paid phone as a backup, same deal, take the sim card out of your iphone and drop it into the prepaid phone and viola, no activation or fees required!

4. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

That's strange. I gave the iPhone to the guy, and he got out a new phone and started activating it. Should I call AT&T or Apple for this?

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

(sighs) Did they TELL you you needed to pay the activation fee again? Your activation fee activates your current device, you don't pay it again unless you buy a new phone from them. When the Apple employee was activating your phone he was....(wait for it) activating your phone! It's an new out of box device; it needs to be activated on AT&T.

*You should call them both, then tell us what they said :)

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's not an activation fee - that might be a replacement fee that they try to pass off on people. It shouldn't be charged in this case so you should call.

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Why would you call Apple for a charge on your ATT account?

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

Hey when i exchanged my iPhone for a new one same thing happened to me, they said basically that the returned me the money and charged me again or something like that. So really you shouldn't get charged again.