Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I have an iPod Touch and can take the teasing no more...I need an iPhone. Unfortunately I can't spend $70 a month, plus the fees to break from Sprint.

So do I have this right? I can get a cheap Pay as you Go phone from AT&T and pre pay for the voice plus data. I can then activate the GoPhone and then pop out the sim and pop it into an iPhone 3Gs (that I would buy used). I don't *think* I need to jailbreak and unlock to do this, right? Even if I do, no big deal.

The Pay as You Go phone data plan-enhance feature-charges .01 per KB for data. Does that mean you pay 1 cent for each KB that is viewed? When I used to do websites I know many simple pages were 70 KB. This isn't what they are talking about is it? Because if so a few clicks could be a few bucks...Do they measure KB in another fashion?

Anyway, I would mostly use WIFI anyway; just use the data in certain limited situations. Is there an easy way to turn 3G off and guarantee I could just serf the web using WIFI? I have read you can take out the sim to do that; but is there another way that is less of a PITA?

I am sorry if this stuff is almost common knowledge, but I read and read and just want to make sure I get this right before I shell out hundreds of dollars on a new iPhone, plus the price of the GoPhone..

Totally appreciate anyones knowledge in this area or even suggestions on how to do it another way.

Thanks!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have an iPod Touch and can take the teasing no more...I need an iPhone. Unfortunately I can't spend $70 a month, plus the fees to break from Sprint.

So do I have this right? I can get a cheap Pay as you Go phone from AT&T and pre pay for the voice plus data. I can then activate the GoPhone and then pop out the sim and pop it into an iPhone 3Gs (that I would buy used). I don't *think* I need to jailbreak and unlock to do this, right? Even if I do, no big deal.

The Pay as You Go phone data plan-enhance feature-charges .01 per KB for data. Does that mean you pay 1 cent for each KB that is viewed? When I used to do websites I know many simple pages were 70 KB. This isn't what they are talking about is it?

Thanks!
Yes, all of this is correct.
Data in this manner is expensive. Could be a few dollars just to load a webpage that has allot of graphics on it.

Macgic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007

The Pay as You Go phone data plan-enhance feature-charges .01 per KB for data. Does that mean you pay 1 cent for each KB that is viewed? When I used to do websites I know many simple pages were 70 KB. This isn't what they are talking about is it? Because if so a few clicks could be a few bucks...Do they measure KB in another fashion?

Anyway, I would mostly use WIFI anyway; just use the data in certain limited situations. Is there an easy way to turn 3G off and guarantee I could just serf the web using WIFI? I have read you can take out the sim to do that; but is there another way that is less of a PITA?

I am sorry if this stuff is almost common knowledge, but I read and read and just want to make sure I get this right before I shell out hundreds of dollars on a new iPhone, plus the price of the GoPhone..

Totally appreciate anyones knowledge in this area or even suggestions on how to do it another way.

Thanks!

Ya, you would have to jailbreak and unlock. Once you jailbreak download sbs settings and turn off 3G and edge. There are hundreds of threads on that. If you need a walkthrough to JB and unlock I would use iclarified.com

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
You need to jailbreak, and you would need to buy unlimited data if you want to browse the net on it.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You need to jailbreak, and you would need to buy unlimited data if you want to browse the net on it.

Unlimited data in not possible with pay as you go on AT&T. They discontinued that plan last year when too many iPhone users took advantage of it.

To get an unlimited plan, you would need to use the sim from a smart phone that already has an unlmited plan as part of its service.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
you do not need to jailbreak so long as the sim card you put in is the same network as the official for your country
signature_SmileyFace.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.