Pay as you Go in the USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4hundred4tyfour, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 4hundred4tyfour macrumors member

I was hoping some of you from the USA may be able to help me with some info about getting a pre-paid simcard.

I will be coming to the USA in a few weeks and am looking for a Pay-as-you-go simcard to buy that will give me some sort of data allowance. I would think around 1GB would be fine. As you can imagine having my iphone in use over there would be extremely helpful considering i will be doing alot of sightseeing and moving around from city to city fairly quickly.

Can anyone suggest what company to go with and if they have data allowances?

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Where are you coming from?

I came from NZ, and in my experience, there are few data options for prepaid. I understand AT&T offer one, but it was literally 10x the cost for 1/10th the limit - it was seriously stupid (like 10c per kb or something) - it so wasn't worth it.

Are you going to be around long? Or just short term? Depending on where you will be, you might actually have pretty good wifi support.

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i think att is the only company with pre paid sims but not sure

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

AT&T has the Go Phone plan which is $59 a month (prepaid) and includes unlimited data.

5. 4hundred4tyfour thread starter macrumors member

I will be in the states for about 6 weeks, goin around from San Fran, LA, San Diego, Vegas, Boston and NYC. I don't think i want to rely on Wifi spots. Last time i went to the US i just got a normal sim card from AT&T and it ended up costing like 2$ just to check facebook as they were charging per kilobyte.

Look like this Go Phone Plan that you are talking about might be the go... Although its a little expensive... Do you know if this is something i can just do for one month? Its not a contract or anything? And do i get calls in there with that 60$?