Pay custom imac using cash only

Discussion in 'iMac' started by felipesalomao, Oct 12, 2015.

1. felipesalomao macrumors newbie

Hi, i am from brazil and will travel to USA.. Will buy 5K retina imac, but want buy custom imac (512gb ssd, i9 and better gps), probability won't have this option in stock on Apple store.. It's possible pay using cash (can't be debit or credit card) in apple store and then wait to pickup custom config on same or another apple store few days later? For me buy using money is much cheaper than using credit card because brazil tax about 7,6% when use international credit card, and also exchange rate is about 3% bigger on credit cards, what means if I buy using cash it's about 10% cheaper (or less expensive)..

2. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

A) you can't use cash to buy from the online store.
    B) you can't buy from the American online store without an American address.
    C) customs at your departure airport aren't going to let you fly with an iMac in your suitcase.

3. felipesalomao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for answer.. About address, that's no problem, I already bought iphone 6 last year and used hotel address (apple shipped to them) and I got iphone.. About customs that's also no problem at all.. Will ship as my baggage (not with me in flight).. I know that I only can pay apple online store using credit card.. But and on retail store, I can pay using cash, but if they don't have my configuration in stock, how it works.. Could have some way to pay them by cash?! Some another store can sell imac custom configuration with local stock (not online store)..?! Imac already is too much expensive, my setup will be arround USD 2.800.00, so if I could pay using cash, it means that I could avoid pay about USD 280.00 of taxes..

4. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Built-to-order iMacs must be paid by card/PayPal etc etc. and cannot be ordered then picked up from your local Apple Store to pay cash. You have to pay for the iMac when you order it, not when you pick it up. Whether you pay cash or card, you still have to pay sales tax.

As for customs, whether it goes hand luggage or checked luggage, US customs will pull out your bag and won't let you travel with a PC in luggage. Not to mention the risk of the iMac getting damaged in transit. An iPhone 6 is different because it's a pocket device. A desktop computer is a different matter.

5. felipesalomao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again.. So i think unique solution is open checking account, so i could deposit money and use debit card to pay it at online store..

6. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

To
    You won't be able to open a bank account in the US.

7. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Your best option would be to buy one of the standard configurations in stock in a store with cash, then ship it home with FedEx/UPS etc.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

can you load up a visa/master/amex card and pay online?

9. felipesalomao thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can open bank account.. Several banks don't need be us resident or SSN to do that.. Yes, I could use pre paid credit card, but need be USA card, because I'd I use Brazilian credit card, will need pay about 10% tax fee and exchange difference.. Some store sell another configuration that not are only default configuration?

10. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

All major US banks require a permanent US address in order to open an account. You also need a primary form of identification that links you to that address. A hotel is not a permanent address and no bank will sign you up to an account when you're only there temporarily on holiday and staying in a hotel.

You're also going to be liable for import duties on anything you bring into Brazil from the US anyway so any benefit you have from buying in America is lost.

11. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Baring in mind your spending $2800 and saving $280

Please can you answer these questions:

1/ what happens is you lose the cash or get 'robbed' while in USA?

2/ dont you think the customs officer will think it's a bit strange to have that large amount of cash on you?
    Are you prepared for _many hours_ of questioning by said customs officer? Hope you are not in a rush.

3/ what are you going to do when you find your precious iMac was damaged in transit?

4/ is it really worth it, to save 10%?

5/ please can you answer my second post above ^

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Stores often hold a maxed out configuration in store you'd have to ring around and ask to see what they have in stock at that time in stores local to you when in the US.

13. itfiend macrumors newbie

I think point 2 is a nonsense, honestly. I've walked into the USA with $3000 of cash before now for a three week trip for myself and my wife and nobody has batted an eyelid. That's way below the level of cash you carry that you have to declare.

Customs won't know about it, much less subject you to "hours" of questioning.

14. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Simply put you can custom order Macs from the Retail store and pay whatever method you want, they will take care of it (I work there and we've done this numerous times).

Or get a prepaid card, it wont require any additional info. and easy to set-up.

15. deany macrumors 68020

deany

I'm sorry you are absolutely correct the limit is now $10,000 before having to declare it on the 6059B form.
    I guess I'm speaking from experience at US border control.
    Some very very good (had a laugh), once absolutely dreadful (questioned for over an hour by a number of customs staff in a small interview room on my own).
    But I'm wrong to put anyone off just because of my personal experience.
    My country of origin is UK, not that that should make any difference at all.

16. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

OP don't forget to factor in the sales tax of whichever State you're buying from. At least in CA, that 7.6% you mention would be a deal around here.

17. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Also is there import tax in Mexico?