Pay for a screen replacement or just buy a new laptop?

danielsullivan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
I recently took my Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro to my local Apple Store.

I was having an issue with the screen not turning on while the computer was powered on. After trying various key combinations and running a diagnosis, it was deemed that there was either an issue with the screen itself or the logic board of the laptop and it would be about $700 to have the problem fixed.

My question being; should I pay for the repairs to be done to the laptop or would I be better off just using that money towards buying one of the new 2017 13" MacBook Pro models?

I would to hear what you think and/or what your opinion is!

Thanks!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
What diagnostic tests did they actually perform?
If you plug the MBP into an external monitor, does it work correctly?
I am guessing the price you were given was one of the flat rate repair prices, correct?

I agree that there is a big distinction between the two because you can find used screens on parted out Macs for quite cheap (where as a used logic board may be something less desirable to purchase second-hand without any warranty.)

FWIW, if it was me, I would try to get a more definitive determination because, if it turned out to be the logic board, then I would sell the computer for parts on CL or eBay - but, if it turned out to be the screen, I would try to find a cheap used one on CL or eBay and then see if a non-Apple Store Apple-Authorized Service Provider would install it for a reasonable price.