Pay for a screen replacement or just buy a new laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielsullivan, Aug 6, 2017.

1. danielsullivan macrumors newbie

I recently took my Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro to my local Apple Store.

I was having an issue with the screen not turning on while the computer was powered on. After trying various key combinations and running a diagnosis, it was deemed that there was either an issue with the screen itself or the logic board of the laptop and it would be about $700 to have the problem fixed.

My question being; should I pay for the repairs to be done to the laptop or would I be better off just using that money towards buying one of the new 2017 13" MacBook Pro models?

I would to hear what you think and/or what your opinion is!

Thanks!

2. Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

I would try and find a shop that can properly diagnose the problem. If it's the screen, find a used replacement. If it's the motherboard, you could sell for parts.

3. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Dont spend 700 on a 4 year old laptop, use that money for a new

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

What diagnostic tests did they actually perform?
    If you plug the MBP into an external monitor, does it work correctly?
    I am guessing the price you were given was one of the flat rate repair prices, correct?

I agree that there is a big distinction between the two because you can find used screens on parted out Macs for quite cheap (where as a used logic board may be something less desirable to purchase second-hand without any warranty.)

FWIW, if it was me, I would try to get a more definitive determination because, if it turned out to be the logic board, then I would sell the computer for parts on CL or eBay - but, if it turned out to be the screen, I would try to find a cheap used one on CL or eBay and then see if a non-Apple Store Apple-Authorized Service Provider would install it for a reasonable price.