Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Not that my opinion matters any more than any of you other fine gents, but, this is how I see it right now. There are many reasons keeping me from going back to "The Light Side"/unhacked iPod/iPhone software. One of the main reasons is Apple's oversight into thinking that everyone on the face of the planet LIKES a black background. Also, I gave the app store a really thorough looking over, and honestly, I see alot of apps in there that are $5+ that I DELETED from my iPhone recently because they were pointless. I know, I know... they have probably spent significant time upgrading their apps... probably... maybe... but ALSO... maybe they havent. I read a forum post about 15 minutes ago of a guy saying he paid for total crap. I have a feeling we are going to hear alot of those (along side the 'Holy Freak, this is awesome!' comments).

All this to say, I have a hard time spending, combined, $100+ dollars on apps I already have for an OS that is highly uncustomizable.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I know there are alot of you out there that are super stoked for this. I just wonder if there are other people that echo my sentiments?

Thanks,
Arisian

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
I understand where you're coming from. Which is why I'm actually only interested in the FREE ones. ha ha. I haven't really had time to browse through half the apps though. I'll probably actually only ever buy one maybe two all together.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Well, I know that I'm going to be hacking regardless; my iPhone's happily hacktivated on AT&T as a GoPhone :eek:

But yeah, I see where you're coming from. I've gotten used to many of the tweaks that I do to the UI of my phone; nothing radical, just changing a few strings here and there, just to make it feel FAR more personal, like it truly belongs to me. That, and I've changed some of the icons and implemented a nifty little hack I thought up to make my iPhone look just like it's running a nice, unhacked 1.0.2 while still having one-tap access to all my apps :)

That's one thing I'd really miss; I love the simple look of the 1.0 release, that's why I've gone to such lengths to make my phone look like that. If there were a way to hide apps on the iPhone natively, I'd be a happy man and would prolly upgrade in a heartbeat to a non-uberhacked install. Until such time... ;)

xanatos

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
I laughed so much when i saw Band for 9.99$, that app is crap :) and i deleted it off my ipod and i got it for free. Same with Labyrinth/Pianist/SuperPong. many many more

I have a feeling too that lots of people are going to buy complaining about wasting there money on crappy apps. When really good ones are going to be free.

I almost have a really bad feeling about all of this.like underwhelmed when I saw the App Store :/

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
I laughed so much when i saw Band for 9.99$, that app is crap :) and i deleted it off my ipod and i got it for free. Same with Labyrinth/Pianist/SuperPong. many many more

I have a feeling too that lots of people are going to buy complaining about wasting there money on crappy apps. When really good ones are going to be free.

I almost have a really bad feeling about all of this.like underwhelmed when I saw the App Store :/

what really really sucks is that the third party people are going to be the only people who REALLY know what they are getting themselves into w/ an app.

Honestly, the fact that there is no plan for RETURNS or something along those lines really sucks. What if an app is completely not what people that it was going to be.

I was stoked for it, then I saw the app store with all the crappy apps I used to have and immediately thought that same thing.

All this to say, GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

xanatos

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
what really really sucks is that the third party people are going to be the only people who REALLY know what they are getting themselves into w/ an app.

Honestly, the fact that there is no plan for RETURNS or something along those lines really sucks. What if an app is completely not what people that it was going to be.

I was stoked for it, then I saw the app store with all the crappy apps I used to have and immediately thought that same thing.

All this to say, GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

The thing that made me chuckle was developers were like "if i make an app that people can use so they can know how to tip at a resturant, charge 5 dollars times a million people downloading that app, I will be RICH AND NEVER HAVE TO WORK AGAIN"

Too bad no ones going to buy any of these apps once they get over the hype of it. and figure out that they really don't need 5 tipping applications out there..people are going to want free free free hah.

Hopefully things get all smoothed out in the next couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.