Pay in Cash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I dont have a credit card to pay for the iPhone 4. can I pay in cash? Im 18, authorized user, no the SS# on the account but dont have my own credit card. Do they accept cash? they did for the iPad.

2. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

4. Burglnar macrumors newbie

NOT AT THE AT&T STORE!!! I'm really glad you asked this because I showed up at my local AT&T store with $3XX in cash and after waiting for about half an hour and getting all the way through the buying process, the salesman (who was actually very helpful and didn't make me wait at all after I ran up the street to my bank to re-deposit the money) tells me and shows me the monitor, that there isn't even an option other than credit where there is normally a choice for cash on any other transaction. So, I don't know about Apple retail stores after the news story about the Oakland lady who wanted to pay for an iPad in cash "for her first computer ever" was given a free iPad and supposedly they reversed their policy (at least on iPads). I can only confirm that AT&T indeed requires a credit card.. Lame if you ask me. It scares me to think that cash may be obsolete and non-existent in my lifetime.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No necessarily, I believe both AT&T and apple require a credit card when purchasing an iPhone

6. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I asked last week at my local apple store, they said YES, they can accept cash.
    I talked to the Apple Manager at one of my local apple store.

So i'm guessing it's a GO GREEN for $Cash$ :apple:

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

They wouldn't take your $$ for pre-order because they charge when the item is shipped.

Shouldn't be an issue in store but wtf do I know :cool:

8. dhjapple89 macrumors member

No...they have yet to change the stance on accepting cash for any iPhone.

What you can do tho is go to the Apple store and purchase an iPhone Gift Card for the cost of the phone, and then use that.

Good luck!!

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

probably not knowing apple. but I dont see why not your binded by the AT&T contract so I dont know how youd buy a bunch without adding lines.

however just having someones SS# isnt going to work I can guarantee that.

10. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not starting a new account or adding a line im just upgrading. Ill call and see

11. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

i just called in, and they said they won't be accepting cash.
    LAME! but yeah the other user said. Might as well get a iPhone Giftcard and you can pay with that.

and you have to know your social security number. and must have an ID
    FUN!

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

AT&T doesn't accept cash. I'm not sure about the Apple Store.