Pay in US Apple Store from a foreign country?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hoodog, Oct 25, 2010.

1. hoodog macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am having somewhat of a problem. Here goes. I normally live and work in Sweden. However, I am going to work in Dallas for a couple of weeks in November and would really like to a buy a refurbished MBP from the US Apple Store. My old MBP just broke down so the best thing would be for med to order the computer before hand online, and then collect it as soon as I get to Dallas so that I can start working with i immediately. The problem is that Apple Store doesn't seem to accept foreign credit cards (only US) so I am out of ideas about how I am going to pay for my order. This is where you guys come in... Is there anyway to pay from outside of the US for an online Apple Store order?

THanks for your help!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. hoodog thread starter macrumors newbie

Not easy when trying to pay online... :)

Unfortunately this didn't seem to work. There is no way to reserve anything on Apple Store and you can't buy hardware with an Itunes Account. Or am I missing something?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, I thought you were going to buy one in Dallas.

If you don't have a US credit card, you won't be able to order one online from Apple.

5. hoodog thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to pay in Dallas. But the refurbished MBP:s are only sold online, as I understand it. Or can you order one to an Apple Store and buy it there?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I actually got this thread mixed up with another- I thought you were trying to buy an iPad for some reason. Early morning fail... I don't think you can order a refurbished model and pick it up in the store... but even if you could you wouldn't be able to pay for it because you don't have a US credit card.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're saying you can't order a laptop from Apple Online using a Swedish credit card, and have it delivered to a US address? Could you have it delivered to your hotel?

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple won't deliver an order to an Apple Store. You have to come up with something else.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Do you have any work colleagues in Dallas who know you well? Have them order the unit for you, and delivered to them before you arrive. You pay them when you get into Dallas. If you work out the timing you can pay them back before they get their credit card bill so they are never really out the money.

Sorry, I'm not in Dallas - so I can't help.

10. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Buy pre-paid gift card and have it delivered to your work place?

11. borki macrumors newbie

hmm...

You might have to ask a friend/coworker or some or someone to purchase it for you and then pay them back.

Or, since you are going to be there for a short time, use the address of where you are staying for them to send the MBP there. I'd double check with the foreign CC though as I know Apple does accept them in their store- I've done this, in Dallas, as a matter of fact, with my SEB card from Sweden:)

And, just to point out, if your MBP has some probs, which it could have being a refurbished model, try to resolve it stateside ASAP as it may be next to impossible to have it replaced in Sweden if it needs to. I'd think twice about buying a one of the newly upgraded models since the Krona has been strengthening to the Dollar.

12. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Why? What makes you say that? Apple's warranty is international.

13. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I can vouch for this — we recently moved from the UK to Sweden, and my UK-bought iMac developed a problem. It got repaired in Sweden without any problems at all.

14. borki macrumors newbie

To BeachChair and Kenndac

That was the response I got from Apple when I got back to Sweden- If I wanted to return or replace it, as I did, it would have to go back to the point of sale. I tried to get several of the issues fixed and only a few really were addressed.

Fast forward 2 years and a host of other problems and fixes, and this computer is most likely about to be replaced.

15. Rup macrumors newbie

I have used my UK credit card in many US apples stores with no probs. Just need photo id too.