Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I have yet to try it, but has anyone configured multiple different iPhones with the same credit card?

My 3 kids (teenagers) all have iPhone 6's and I wouldn't mind adding one of my credit cards to their phones, just in case they need it (granted, locations for use is another story, but nonetheless...).

Do the card companies (or Apple themselves) limit the number of phones that can be attached to any one card? Or can I securely add the same card to multiple phones, presuming I go through the setup and verification process on each phone.

I will be getting them credit cards in their own names eventually, but until then, I was wondering if this could be a stop-gap solution.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've got 3 iPhones (2x iPhone 6 - my account, 1x iPhone 6 Plus - brother's account) associated with the same credit cards (mom's Chase Amazon and Sapphire Preferred) for Apple Pay right now. No issues with set-up. My brother and I are both authorized users on the account, though.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've got 3 iPhones (2x iPhone 6 - my account, 1x iPhone 6 Plus - brother's account) associated with the same credit cards (mom's Chase Amazon and Sapphire Preferred) for Apple Pay right now. No issues with set-up. My brother and I are both authorized users on the account, though.

Normally when you add authorized users they get their own cards with the same account number but different security codes. Did you add these cards or the same physical card?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Normally when you add authorized users they get their own cards with the same account number but different security codes. Did you add these cards or the same physical card?
Card number and security code was the same for all the extension cards. We used our own cards to add them to Passbook (my extension card was used on 2 phones) but verification for all of them had to go through my mom's account.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have yet to try it, but has anyone configured multiple different iPhones with the same credit card?

My 3 kids (teenagers) all have iPhone 6's and I wouldn't mind adding one of my credit cards to their phones, just in case they need it (granted, locations for use is another story, but nonetheless...).

Do the card companies (or Apple themselves) limit the number of phones that can be attached to any one card? Or can I securely add the same card to multiple phones, presuming I go through the setup and verification process on each phone.

I will be getting them credit cards in their own names eventually, but until then, I was wondering if this could be a stop-gap solution.

Yes, same Citibank MC on both my iPhone 6es, no problems at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.