Pay the ETF for 3G and preorder 3GS from Apple - Does this compute?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwtseng, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jwtseng macrumors member

First off, I totally understand the whole issue of phone subsidies and the purpose of ETFs, so I am not upset that I will have to pay more than the advertised $299 for the 32gb 3GS as a current 3G owner. But here is my plan:

Right now, I can go to Apple.com and preorder an iPhone 3GS 32gb as a new account for $299. It lets me do this even though I enter in my contact information exactly as my current ATT account. So I am buying the iPhone as a "new customer". I passed the credit check and put the iPhone into my cart...all I have to do is click "Buy".

Then on June 19 after receiving my iPhone 3GS, I plan to call up ATT and cancel my current iPhone 3G contract. The prorated ETF on this contract is currently $120, which is the extra amount that I will fork over for upgrading early. This is better than the $200 extra I would have to pay via the early upgrade option offered by ATT on my current contract. There is a $36 activation fee either way.

Does this sound like it will work? The only downside that I can think of is that I don't get to keep my current phone number, but I don't mind because it throws the telemarketers off my trail for a while. Can anyone see any holes in this logic?

Also, are there any gotchas I should watch for in terms of cancelling my current account? Do I have to do so before the next billing cycle or is usage prorated for partial month?

2. doctajay macrumors member

i'm doing the same thing, except I really want to keep my #, so I'm adding a line on my account and then canceling. The prices end up being just the same as upgrading at a reduced discount on my current line, except I get to get the new iphone without using up my upgrade incase something new comes down the pipeline.

3. jwtseng thread starter macrumors member

How's that work exactly? Could you break it down step by step for me? Is this like doing a family plan?