Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venox22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi there

Just a quick question, if i was to buy a UK PAYG iphone 3g, would it work with any sim card???

I recently went to Italy last month and picked up an Italian PAYG ipgone 3g 8gb from a vodafone store and it has worked perfectly for me ever since, updates and 100% fuctionality and this is with my std UK contract sim card!!

From what i have read up on, it seems that the PAYG ones only work with the sim card ou get with it, but why does mine work???

Help would be great!!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Just a quick question, if i was to buy a UK PAYG iphone 3g, would it work with any sim card???
No, all iPhones sold in the UK (both postpaid and prepaid) are permanently locked to the O2 network.

I recently went to Italy last month and picked up an Italian PAYG ipgone 3g 8gb from a vodafone store and it has worked perfectly for me ever since, updates and 100% fuctionality and this is with my std UK contract sim card!!

From what i have read up on, it seems that the PAYG ones only work with the sim card ou get with it, but why does mine work???
Because the authorized carriers in Italy have apparently made the choice to not bother with SIM locks on their iPhones.

Remember that SIM locks are optional customizations imposed by the manufacturer only according to the will of the network carrier which sells the phone. If the carrier doesn't want the unit to be locked, the unit will not be locked.

It is technically permitted to sell a phone in Italy with a time-limited SIM lock, but it must be possible to remove it. The Italian carriers probably decided it wasn't worth the trouble of keeping track of which iPhones were authorized to be unlocked and which were not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.