PAYG when travelling (local sim card?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by phillips321, Mar 31, 2011.

1. phillips321 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I often travel out of the country and have allways used the hotels wireless which sometimes costs £15+ a night. After a week this soon amounts up to a substantial cost.

For example I am soon to travel to Las Vegas, Nevada. Does anyone know if i will be able to just pick up a Pay As you Go sim card when i arrive and drop it in my ipad2? (I have a UK version so I'm not sure what type of network it's compatible with)

Does anyone know where i could get one from prior to travelling? And also what the cost would be to use? i.e. are there any PAYG deals that offer 1GB preloaded onto a sim for $20 etc...

Many thanks

2. GeekPill macrumors member

Hey the UK iPad is GSM and as such you would need to find yourself an AT&T microsim and ofc a prepaid debit card Post Office and ThomasCook has them in US$. This is so you can buy the data allowance.

I have also been looking for preload sims like 3 does for the US and have not found any yet. But eBay has alot of people selling AT&T sims. Both Sims and MicroSims as well as Sims cut to MicroSims.

3. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Here's what I do when I go to the US

-First time: I went to an AT&T store and bought a 3G microsim for a few dollars
    -Buy a US Visa gift card. Go online and activate it with your name.
    -Find a wifi zone. Pop the AT&T microsim in. It'll ask you to register. use the US Visa gift card number (it won't accept my Canadian Visa number), your name as typed in the online activation, and a dummy address (I used the hotel address... it doesn't do an address look-up, just a name lookup which has to match)
    -Pay for one month, 35$/2gigs
    -BEFORE leaving the country, while still in AT&T 3G zone, cancel your subscription (otherwise they keep billing you each month, and you can't deactivate it once you leave the US)
    -Back home, pop your local microsim card back in

I did that three times so far when I went in the US, always worked.

4. Ebes1099 macrumors member

I'd also check to make sure your iPad is unlocked. I know there were some people on here who bought from Orange and figured out that it wouldn't accept any other SIM cards.