Carrier Paying $195/month for 3 line family plan on AT&T, is this too much?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I have been paying roughly $195/month for a 3 line family plan on AT&T. One line is still on the old grandfathered unlimited while the other 2 aren't.

$195 seems quite expensive to me and was wondering if there's anything better or perhaps I should switch to tmobile or verizon altogether?

frozenoem1

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
I have been paying roughly $195/month for a 3 line family plan on AT&T. One line is still on the old grandfathered unlimited while the other 2 aren't.

$195 seems quite expensive to me and was wondering if there's anything better or perhaps I should switch to tmobile or verizon altogether?
$105 unlimited Credomobile.com 3 lines.

Do a search for best your area. Or add discounts to your plan of retired military, law enforcement or aarp, etc.

Even with ATTDon’t have 3 only 2 phones @$90 monthATT and 20% discount unlimited.

When in doubt ask ‘em.

Last edited:

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2018

I pay $210 for 3 lines. All unlimited AT&T.

Reactions: 960design

Banglazed

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
$286 on a 7 line unlimited family plan included 4 EIP or add-on payments of about $90-100 on T-Mobile

Last edited:

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008

The new plans with unlimited everything seem to be much cheaper than that. I held on to grandfathered plan forever but finally dumped it for the new unlimited family and haven’t had a single issue.

Reactions: hungryteresa

LorQ1027

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
San Francisco, CA

If you have AT&T, try using cricket. Prepaid plans that use AT&T towers. I had AT&T for about 15 years before I switched and couldn’t be happier! Most “expensive” plan they offer is $60/month with taxes and fees included :)

awdods

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
$190 is about right for ATT. That’s what I paid when I was with them for 3 line family plan. Gotta remember ATT and Verizon are offering the most coverage and most services, at least in USA, so their prices are a bit higher.

You can get cheaper plans on different carriers but you’ll likely see some drop in coverage. Always check coverage maps before switching.

I was able to get an amazing discount through T-Mobile so I switched but I definitely notice the difference in coverage. It still serves all my purposes but not quite as reliable as ATT. I used to always be the one with at least a little service when others had none. Now I’m in the boat with the others.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I pay 190 total for unlimited everything on 4 lines with taxes and fees. I have the very first unlimited family plan att offered without tethering which I am grandfathered into. I also get a fan discount.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Some of the plans for the amount of lines is amazing to me. With taxes I'm paying $230 for 2 phones in Canada with 10GB of shared data.

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
Wow, I feel for you guys over in the states Expensive over there we pay here $17 for unlimited data and text minutes and 71 countries roaming and binge.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I dropped AT&T last year

Paying $182 for 5 lines with everything unlimited on T-Mobile and that's including taxes and all fees. Plus I get free data roaming & text messages pretty much everywhere I go... that has come in handy since me and my wife travel to Canada to visit her family twice a year. A couple of weeks ago I was in Punta Cana with some friends and outside of the resort's wifi I was the only one with internet access.. its pretty sweet. Oh and my $10 a month netflix bill is covered by T-Mobile as well.

Reactions: karmamule

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
TMobile $150/month 7 lines unlimited data. 2 phones, 2 iPads, 2 watches and 1 syncdrive. Was 170 before military discount. Same configuration from At&t would have been more than $200/month. If is works for you go TMobile...

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I was considering switching to T-Mobiole unlimited 3 line plan for $140. I like how they show the final price with all fees and taxes included so there are no surprises. But like some have mentioned that I should check the coverage map first.

I will take a look at the unlimited AT&T plans. Right now I am on a Shared 700 minute 3-Line family plan. How much is the 3-Line family unlimited plan? I couldn't seem to find it on their website.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Reactions: karmamule

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2014
I've been keeping a close eye on T-Mobile and their coverage. My wife and I are currently on AT&T (2 line family plan, unlimited) and we travel quite a bit. Unfortunately, T-Mobile's current coverage is not up to par and I don't want to risk being stuck without service. When their coverage matches that of AT&T, I'll consider switching.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2018
Wow, I feel for you guys over in the states Expensive over there we pay here $17 for unlimited data and text minutes and 71 countries roaming and binge.
I hear you. But with what you said, I’m curious. How much is the average salary over there? Or minimum wage?

psy_duck

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
My bill with Verizon is about $300 for 2 lines. Both on a device payment plan 2 iPhone X. One line has Above Unlimited(75gb cap) and other has Beyond Unlimited(22gb cap). This is a pretty expensive bill but it is worth it for me. Verizon has the best coverage in town and everywhere else I go. Had Tmobile and AT&T before and VZW takes the cake.

Reactions: vidjahgamz

TedJustAdmitit

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2010
I've been keeping a close eye on T-Mobile and their coverage. My wife and I are currently on AT&T (2 line family plan, unlimited) and we travel quite a bit. Unfortunately, T-Mobile's current coverage is not up to par and I don't want to risk being stuck without service. When their coverage matches that of AT&T, I'll consider switching.
Every time I switch to T-mobile I am forced to switch back, coverage just doesn't cut it for my line of work. At the end of the day, speed doesn't matter, access to coverage does.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2018
I actually went over my AT&T bill just now. I pay $165.00. That’s including my $10 autopay discount. That’s for 2 Phone lines unlimited and another phone line unlimited for my son’s iPad Pro. All before tax. And I get free HBO. That’s $15 saved there as well. So I can see it $150 for my phone plans and $15 for HBO. Works for me. My whole family has T-Mobile and they tell me it’s sucks at times. Not enough coverage and data speeds are slow at time. And that’s in Houston. The 4th largest city in the world. I do like their prices, but I need that reliability. I won’t say AT&T is the best, but it’s better than T-Mobile as of right now for me. So I’ll stick to AT&T for now.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
T-Mobile quoted me $160 for 5 lines unlimited. I think it’s $40 per line (4) and get one line free.

Knight^mare

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I'm paying $184 per month for 8 lines with unlimited data from Tmobile. This does include an autopay discount and an "Insider Hook Up" promotion that gives me 20% off for life.

I couldn't deal with AT&T's prices even though coverage for me is slightly worse than AT&T (SF Bay Area). Generally TMobile is good enough and their coverage has gradually been getting better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.