Paying ETF at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nismoskygtr, Oct 9, 2011.

1. nismoskygtr macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Quick question for anyone who might have run into a similar situation in the past.

I'm currently on AT&T with about 9 months to go on my contract.

My parents are on Sprint and are finally hoping onto the iPhone train; and they have offered to let me hop onto their plan with them.

I've already figured out the math, and it'd be worth it to pay the ETF and hop on board with my parents, so my question is:

I plan on waiting in line at an Apple store Friday morning, is it possible to go through the whole process of switching from AT&T to Sprint, including paying the ETF and porting the number? Or would I have to do this at a Sprint store?

I've gone to an Apple store and asked an employee, I was told as long as I'm an authorized buyer on the Sprint account, they'd be able to do the whole process, including ETF.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has done something similar, or if someone else has insight into this?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Sprint Store.

3. ps2pk macrumors newbie

It doesn't matter where you go. As soon as you hop on to your parents plan and port your number your ATT plan will be cancelled. You don't even have to call them to cancel it. It should cancel itself and then all that's left is to make that last payment and the ETF fee.

4. Codepiink macrumors regular

You pay the ETF when you get your bill...not in the store when you're porting your number to another carrier....

5. nismoskygtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses!

It seems like I'm getting some conflicting info now?

So it sounds like I go into the Apple store, say I want a Sprint iPhone and that I want to port my number, when that happens my AT&T will automatically be cancelled and they will bill me the ETF fee and whatever is left on my bill?

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

6. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

You must port the number over before you cancel your AT&T! Then, once the number is ported, call AT&T and speak with the cancelation department. They will put it on your next months bill.

7. nismoskygtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, I was told by someone else that when you port the number it will automatically cancel your other account?

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No need to call. Porting your number makes the cancellation automatic. Watch for the etf in your bill.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, this is the correct process and steps. Just make sure that you have the information for your parent's Sprint account. For example: the last for digits of the account holders SSN and any PIN that is on the account.

I have to ask, are you at least 18? You need to be able to legally sign a contract in your state. If might be a good idea to check with your local Apple store, last year there were some that did not care if you were just an Authorized User while other stores wanted the Primary account holder present. It is worth double checking before Friday.

The other suggesting about calling AT&T after your number is ported is just a good idea but make sure that your port has completed and you are able to receive calls in addition to make calls on your new Spring iPhone 4S.

Due to the volume of activations and porting, it sometimes take more than 24 hours to complete the port. Your new iPhone 4S should be able to make calls before you leave the Apple store but to receive calls, you have to wait until the actual porting steps complete. Again, once the port completes and your number is removed from your AT&T account, it should cancel your account and you should receive a final bill from AT&T for any balance and the ETF.

Dave

10. nismoskygtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! 24 years old. I checked w/ an Apple store yesterday and they said as long as I'm an authorized user it should be cool, but I'll definitely come armed w/ my parents account info.