Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
Hey guys I know that the final ML is not available yet. However, as soon as it releases I will install it on my iMac and my friend's iMac. Have in mind that I will download ML for both Mac's using my Apple account. Will I have to pay twice???

Last edited:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys I know that the final ML is not available yet. However, as soon as it releases I will install it on my iMac and my friend's iMac. Have in mind that that I will download ML for both Mac's using my Apple account. Will I have to pay twice???

No.

Also, you can download the app and transfer it by other means to the other Mac, like your local network. Unless you have incredibly fantastic internets, that should be a whole bunch faster than downloading it from the app store twice.

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
as long as it is downloaded with the same apple id, you only have to pay for it once.
thanks mate!

----------

No.

Also, you can download the app and transfer it by other means to the other Mac, like your local network. Unless you have incredibly fantastic internets, that should be a whole bunch faster than downloading it from the app store twice.
Well what do you mean by saying "other means"? Would a USB Flash Drive do the job? Thank you for answering .

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
So me and my whole class can get ML on our macs with just my apple ID? How is this any different from torrents?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So me and my whole class can get ML on our macs with just my apple ID? How is this any different from torrents?

It's different because Apple can track how many times it's installed. There may be a limit to how many times, but Apple has so far not stated one. Lion did have a limit of 5 machines.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009

No, only 5 computers can be authorized to your Apple ID. I suppose if you de-authorized them after installing you could add in the rest of the class progressively.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's different because Apple can track how many times it's installed. There may be a limit to how many times, but Apple has so far not stated one. Lion did have a limit of 5 machines.

No, only 5 computers can be authorized to your Apple ID. I suppose if you de-authorized them after installing you could add in the rest of the class progressively.

Incorrect. There is no limit to the number of Macs that can be authorized for Mac App Store Apps. All the Macs that you own or control.

jW

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Incorrect. There is no limit to the number of Macs that can be authorized for Mac App Store Apps. All the Macs that you own or control.

jW

Cool, I didn't realize this. Thanks for the correction.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

jW

Note I said there may be a limit to how many times, but Apple has so far not stated one. Not that there is one. The limit may be 1,000 computers and to Apple that's good enough to state "unlimited". If there is a hidden limit and someone does reach it, Apple may reveal what it is.

idiiamots

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think that's true. 5 computers can be authorized with iTunes to your Apple ID, and maybe appstore. However, there is nothing (other than EULA language) that limits how many times you can install an app. The ML "installer" you download from the store, just like Lion, will have InstallESD.dmg file buried in it. You can extract that image to a USB key and install to your heart's content on as many machines as you'd like.

It's not different than torrents, in both cases you are knowingly redistributing software you have no right to redistribute.

For Apple the piracy of OS X is inconsequential - you can only run it on Apple hardware, hackintoshes notwithstanding. Only 2-3% of their revenue comes from Mac App Store. The majority of the money is coming from mobile devices and associated services.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
For Apple the piracy of OS X is inconsequential - you can only run it on Apple hardware, hackintoshes notwithstanding. Only 2-3% of their revenue comes from Mac App Store. The majority of the money is coming from mobile devices and associated services.

That sounds right, they are so pleased and confident with their product, they know the experience will drive people to never hardware. Many complain about force obsolescence, well, it might be in part to help combat piracy by forcing people to buy newer hardware, thereby buying the OSs legitimately.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Apple states you can pay once and download it to all the macs YOU own. No limit, but no stealing either. If it isn't your Mac your stealing.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Note I said there may be a limit to how many times, but Apple has so far not stated one. Not that there is one. The limit may be 1,000 computers and to Apple that's good enough to state "unlimited". If there is a hidden limit and someone does reach it, Apple may reveal what it is.

I was responding to the part where you said Lion had a limit of 5, which is not true.

jW

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Just FYI, re: the '5 computers' thing, that notion came from the days where all songs sold on the iTMS had DRM. That's not been the case for a long time, but you still have that old DRM-laden music, the 5 computers thing does matter.

Re: using them on your friend's computer, and computer labs, I imagine if asked, Apple would say you aren't supposed to do that, because you don't own those computers, and that for labs and things enterprise or educational licenses need to be negotiated blah blah blah, but in their hearts of hearts I don't think they really care.

As others have said, Apple makes the vast, vast majority of their revenue from hardware sales. Software is an inconsequential part of that. I'm actually kind of shocked they bothered charging for ML at all; I think they would've bought more ammunition in the argument to buy a Mac (free new OS every year as opposed to paid new OS every who knows when with Wintel). But I digress.

On the other hand, there is a single potential problem with using your ID in the MAS on all those other Macs: they may not be able to update their OSes unless they have your Apple ID password. Since all the system & security updates are going to happen through the MAS now, it may not work without the proper Apple ID. Apple may give an exception for the OS-level stuff, since security updates are really important. But that remains to be seen, since ML hasn't "shipped" yet.

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Question...

For those of us who have recently bought new Macs which qualify for the free ML upgrade, will that upgrade be available to our own older Macs (associated to our Apple IDs).

For example, my new MBPR qualifies so would I be able to update my iMac or do you think it will be restricted in some way (like the install DVDs of old)?

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
For those of us who have recently bought new Macs which qualify for the free ML upgrade, will that upgrade be available to our own older Macs (associated to our Apple IDs).

For example, my new MBPR qualifies so would I be able to update my iMac or do you think it will be restricted in some way (like the install DVDs of old)?

I suspect you'll just get a redemption code to download it off the mac app store, after which it'll be exactly like everyone else's install process.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

It depends on how Apple grants the Mountain Lion license for the up to date program. If it's like it was for Lion, then it will be like a normal App Store purchase and will work on on any Mac you own using the same AppleID.

I do know if you buy a new Mac with Lion, that Lion license cannot be used to upgrade other Macs. I expect the same will probably be true for Mountain Lion when it's the pre-installed OS on new Macs.

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
Thanks for replying!

But just to make it clear; suppose I download ML using my Apple ID on both mine and my friend's iMac. After he installs ML on his iMac my friend will sign in Mac App Store using his own account. Is that ok? I'm asking because Apple may understand that we somehow "cheated".:cool:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
But just to make it clear; suppose I download ML using my Apple ID on both mine and my friend's iMac. After he installs ML on his iMac my friend will sign in Mac App Store using his own account. Is that ok? I'm asking because Apple may understand that we somehow "cheated".:cool:

you did "cheat" but it still will work because you allowed to sell you Mac with the OSX version that you had the rights to install, so when you friends puts in his Apple ID the mac will still work but the MAS wont have ML listed in the purchased tab so he would not be able to redownload if for some reason he wanted to

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It's not OK as in it violates the license terms you agreed to. Of course if you're living with said friend in an intimate type relationship, that's a bit different.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
What about the fact that Mountain Lion and all app updates are now contained in the Mac App Store. Won't his friend need to have his Apple account name and password every time there is a software update? Or will the system just update like it works now but just inside the app store?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What about the fact that Mountain Lion and all app updates are now contained in the Mac App Store. Won't his friend need to have his Apple account name and password every time there is a software update? Or will the system just update like it works now but just inside the app store?
That is a good question. I guess we'll find out when the first patch for Mountain Lion is available from all the people whining they can't get the update.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

it will only update the apps purchased with the apple id assigned to the mac, think of it this way you own a mac install ML sell it in October, that new owner need and operating system

the only thing that would effect that new user is if you sell it to them with apps you purchased in the MAS, he wont get those updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.