Paying for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Hi,

As Visa Electron and Solo cards are not being accepted for purchasing the iPhone on Friday, if i were to pay the money into my mothers bank and use her Maestro card, would they allow me to pay for it?.

I'm not sure if its legal to use someone elses card... though with chip and pin... most of the time, they don't check the name.

hmm?...

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

I don't know about the UK launch, but here in the U.S. they checked my photo ID against the name on the card.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

you'd be able to buy it yeh, but as for the monthly contract you still wont be able to use electron or solo accounts and they normally dont support direct debiting, I remember i had to upgrade my account once to allow direct debiting.

4. roblawton macrumors 6502

legally and technically you can't use someone elses card to make a purchase.

They may check this, as I know in apple store, and cpw they take other personal details in order to make any purchases...

You could always try, and hope that you get someone who doesn't look at the card when they put it in the chip&pin machine.

But could you imagine getting to the front of the queue, getting the iPhone placed in front of you, then as you hand over the card, they see that it isn't your card...

5. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

6. g9icy macrumors newbie

This whole situation is ridiculous. The only thing it'll do is reduce the queue dramatically.

For some reason my bank refuses to give me a debit card, so i'm stuck with an electron, and never had any problems before this.

Its honestly like an uphill struggle just to buy the damn thing.

I do currently use an electron to pay for my current CPW/O2 contract, so I damn well hope the iPhone activation lets us use one.

First we have to wait for months after its out in the US, then when its out we have to wait till 6:02pm till its sold, then we can't use cash or some debit cards, despite the fact that either method ensures Apple ultimately get payment. Once we have it we can't use it as a modem and coverage is only 30% on a crappy tariff...as well as many other crippling facts...

I think I just talked myself out of buying one...

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

If there is any deception involved (which misleads the sales staff) and you are acting dishonestly, I'm afraid that you are technically committing a criminal offence, even if you are using your mother's or father's card with their consent.

The only way it would not be an offence is if:
    1. You had the consent of the cardholder to use it, and;
    2. You explained the situation fully to the sales rep.

In these circumstances however, I suspect that they would simply refuse the transaction.

Your best bet is to take one of your parents with you, and allow them to complete the transaction on your behalf.

8. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

u can have the phone under someone elses name and have the direct debit coming out of your account if you wanted to do it that way.