Paying in cash for the iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Illuminated, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Does the apple store allow to pay in cash for the iPad? Or will I have to buy a gift card and put said money onto it?

2. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

3. Bentron macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't want to be harsh. Yes, you will be able to without having to go around some gift card route. Everyone likes cash. :)

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Yes you can pay cash at the Apple store. You just need to let them know before they ring you up, since they need to do it at one of the computers not on the iPod thing that they carry around.

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

if i recall correctly you cant buy an iphone with cash right? maybe that's where the OP got the idea of the no cash policy.

since the ipad is not sold under a contract or with a third party i dont see this policy being applied.

6. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Correct. To purchase an iPhone it requires a giftcard and some sort of credit card for a credit check since you're signing a contract.

You will just need to go to the POS desk at the bar. Tell a concierge when you get there.

7. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

That was exactly my confusion. I read that you can't pay with cash for iPhones. I thought this was also true for everything else.

I'll go to the genius bar on April 3rd then...thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I am pretty sure I paid cash more my 3G on launch... Is there absolutely NO way I could have done this? Because I am fairly confident that I did.

9. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

this isn't a weird question at all...some stores are no longer accepting cash for certain purchases! Apple does, however, accept cash.

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I'm sorry, I couldn't tell if this was a smart-ass comment or not (seriously)... as stated before, for the iPhones you cannot pay with cash on a new contract.

11. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I paid cash for my iphone 3Gs. I already had an existing contract with AT&T with my original iPhone. So that may have changed things a bit.

12. CanonicalKoi macrumors regular

If you're picking it up on the 3rd, it's a straight WiFi, right? I don't know why it'd be different from buying a computer there with cash and I did so when I bought my MBP less than a year ago. Just let whoever's helping you know since, as someone else pointed out, they'll have to ring you up at the Genius bar and (for mine, anyway) they had a second employee (manager?) recount the money. If you're still worried, though, just give them a call and ask.

13. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I don't understand peoples insistence on paying cash for things, especially large purchases like a laptop or something. Why would you want to carry that much money around?

14. Thrillho... macrumors newbie

Thrillho...

Why does it matter to you? Some people prefer cash, doesn't mean they are going to be idiots who wave it around dancing down the street.

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

It's their decision, why do you care? People don't carry the money out in public's view, don't assume just because you don't see it, people in the streets are not carrying any cash.

Secondly, I rather pay with cash more than CC. Yes I know there are debit cards, but they don't carry the same lessons as cash. Paying with cash teaches people not to spend money they don't have. Credit cards are too dangerous to handle if people don't learn to control their money.

16. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Im just curious. I don't understand it, hence I asked a question. Thanks for playing.

If you are old enough to have enough money to pay for a macbook, and still find the need to teach yourself a lesson...you probably shouldn't be buying a macbook in the first place.

17. MikhailT macrumors 601

Say that to a nation that has nearly a trillion dollars personal CC debt, nearly materialistic culture we have here who needs to buy crap that they don't need and have no reason to buy.

18. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Maybe there running from the FBI and dont want them tracking their credit cards. Duh.....:D

19. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

well they could use a debit card to buy it.

I never carry cash with me. Just a debit card.

20. Doju macrumors 68000

You are aware debit cards don't allow you to spend more than you have in the account right? If for whatever reason you're that irresponsible that you need to teach yourself a lesson at every purchase, a debit card would achieve the same thing as cash, under your ideology.

I see no reason to carrying around $500+ in bills. Get a debit card, much safer.

21. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got the cash and could have used a debit card. Instead, I used an American Express card to pre-order. Why? Well I think it has a fallback extended warranty.

But even more important I once had to use AMEX to charge back Apple when the original Graphite Airport I had wouldn't work with an iBook after a year of trying. I spend over 60 hours with Apple Tech support and we could not get the two to work together.

Don't get me wrong. Apple was diligent in trying to get the equipment to work. Even sent me 3 different Airports. They never did offer an iBook replacement. I don't know why. After a year of trying I said enough and got my money back.

So cash is good, but sometimes you have better protection with a credit card (not so with a debit card).

22. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Pretty much every debit card now days is backed by a CC company.

23. MrAgileBeast macrumors regular

sometimes i wished i carried cash.
    cuz then i can not worry about going to pinks and not having cash

or costco mmmm ;D

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

I already stated that I know about debit cards, and I never suggested that people carry $500+ in cash all the time, it's fine when they are going straight to the store. Debit cards are the best way to go, definitely, they are much more safer, more bang for the bucks as they ofter features that cash can't give you.

The problem is that people (well people i know, i can't say general public as everybody is different but seeing how much people are in CC debt) don't want to use debit cards, they use credit cards by default. In fact some of those idiots don't want to use debit card because they forgot their pin or it's more inconvenient than using credit cards.

Credit cards are not supposed to be used all the time, they are supposed to give you temporary loan or basically emergency funding. Every time I ask people why they use CC if they had debit, they basically said they don't want to spend their money first, they rather use the CC and pay it off later. Which makes no frigging sense to me because they'll pay more in the end and end up with less money in their pocket. Debit cards nowadays have the same protection system that credit cards have, so debit cards should be used primarily, not credit cards.

It's frigging retarded to go to the store and pay for a coffee drink that cost 4$ with credit card and I have seen this done by people of all kind of income levels.

I think credit card should come with two different PIN numbers, couple of captcha, just to piss people off every time they use it.