paying my $99

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by larswik, Aug 30, 2011.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

I am about to shell out the $99 for the developer program and I was wondering one thing. I do most of my programming on my desktop but in December I go over seas for a month to visit family and take my laptop with me. I use both machines to code but I want to be able to test code on my iphone on both machines, is that possible? 2 computers with Xcode, 1 iphone?

Thanks...

2. brianbauer04 macrumors member

Yes, you can use as many computers as you want. But you do need admin access to them.

3. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, they are both my computers. I am use to having 1 iphone begin synced to one iTunes account. That is why I was wondering if I could use the same phone to test on 2 different computers, if I own them. Sounds like I can.

-Lars

4. firewood macrumors 604

You can copy all your iTunes data (music and device backups), and developer stuff (certificates, provisions and private keys), to both machines. Synchronize or an rsync script might be useful for this.

5. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

On your keychain of the machine you are using to build app's onto your iPhone, go to the Keychain Acces.
    right click on your Key, export it to .P12, and open it on your second development machine (in your case, your laptop).
    Then add the WWDCR Certificate of Apple. And hmm, I think you are set to start building from the Laptop to the iPhone :)

7. brianbauer04 macrumors member

If Xcode/Organizer is running when you plug the phone in for the first time, iTunes doesn't do anything.

You can keep your iTunes-to-iPhone "link" on one computer and develop on any number of other computers. You don't have to mess with your iTunes data unless you really want to.

----------

The Xcode Organizer is now able to manage your provisioning profiles - it gets what it needs from Apple's servers and deals with your Keychain for you - all behind the scenes. I would recommend this approach rather than cloning your Keychain and importing it to each machine you want to use for development.