Paying to unlock an iPhone 4G on Vodafone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blizeH, Jul 29, 2010.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

My dad's well overdue a phone upgrade, so he's kindly offered to let me get a new iPhone 4G on his Vodafone contract.

I always believed that you could pay them a certain amount (£20 or so?) to get the phone unlocked, but I can't see anything on the Vodafone site that mentions it!

Is there *anyway* at all to unlock an iPhone 4G right now? I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks!

2. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

There is no way right now but if you want it go ahead and buy it. The unlock will be easily done and released soon.

You can actually check here http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ Those are the guys who do the unlock and when it's ready (which should be soon) it will be posted on their website.
    I'm not sure about factory unlocked phones though.

3. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah that's great, thank you - I'm actually really tempted just to go ahead and order one anyway, but I am a little worried that once I've got it I won't be able to unlock the thing, and it'd be annoying having the hassle of sorting the PAC code thing twice to go over to Vodafone, and back again once it's unlocked :D

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

TS is talking about a Factory Unlock not a software unlock. TS call Vodafone and ask them there policy for unlocking iPhone 4

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You will be able to unlock it with Ultrasn0w. Just go ahead and buy the phone.

6. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

The Vodafone unlock is what we call a factory unlock.
    Which means no matter what the phone will always be unlocked

the unlock that I mentioned is a software unlock which means you'll have to unlock it yourself with a simple tool on the computer and when an upgrade to the phone software comes out from Apple you have to be careful because it might rid you of your unlock until the Dev Team releases a new unlock.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You really want to go into a vodophone shop and ask the question about unlocking. I know O2 unlocks contract iphones for free but you still have to complete the term of the contract. Vodophone might charge a small fee but you are probably not going to get the right answer here. The situation in the UK is very different from the US where ATT just will not unlock an iphone and the only option is JB and UL.
    Since the product is so new there might also be a wait time before they start offering unlocking from the UK carriers.

8. ivicyrusivi macrumors newbie

vodafone (in the uk anyways) will not unlock any iphone, until the end of your contract!

Trust me, i've been around in circles with them... bunch of w****rs.

I got the 4 on a buisness hardware account, which is basically an offline handset, and not attached to a contract. VF are telling me that i won't be able to unlock it, until my contract is up... which just doesn't make sense lol! ITS NOT ON A CONTRACT grrrr :mad:

oh well... bring on the jailbreak/unlock!

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well at least they will unlock it At&T won't unlock it even after the contract terms are done. Count yourself lucky.

10. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, it's out anyway - my dad needs a lot of minutes, but no texts and no internet - pretty much the exact opposite of the iPhone tarrifs and they said they can't switch them. Sigh!

I could do the £35 a month for 600 minutes over 24 months thing, but that's probably stitching up my dad a bit, so I'm going to do the decent thing and switch him to a sim only deal I think, because the iPhone tarrifs are a bit of a joke as far as minutes are concerned (but great for internet/texts of course)

/sigh

Back to the £700 or so Tesco mobile iPhone then!