Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwtunx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
I posted this in the Apple forum but it disappeared. I added a new payment device which I MUST use. The card is valid and works as a payment method for non-Apple. It keeps getting declined. I must use this payment method which, again, works on other sites. Since I can't use this payment method for subscriptions/purchases with Apple and Apple says to contact the card company instead of helping, I'll have to just sell about 11 Mac/IOS devices. Anyone know of a reputable place that offers decent prices for Apple stuff?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Are you looking for a place to sell stuff? If so, the bit about the credit card is unnecessary.

Or are you looking for help/advice with credit card?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
To verify, you’ve added a credit/debit card to your Apple ID and when you attempt to make a purchase or begin a subscription, the payment method is declined?

Not many, but some credit cards are only accepted at specific retailers, which could be your problem.

A possible workaround, you might be able to use another service (e.g., PayPal) as a go between:

Reactions: iwtunx

iwtunx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Well, did you? After all, it's the card company doing the declining. Apple isn't in the loop at all, so I'm not sure why you expect them to help.
The card company said they DID NOT deny anything, that they didn't even see an attempted use for the transactions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The card company said they DID NOT deny anything, that they didn't even see an attempted use for the transactions.
Did they clear the card for Apple Pay in the first place?

I always got a notification to call, e-mail, or otherwise contact the bank or credit union to allow it to worth with Apple Pay.

Last edited:

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Are you using Apple Pay, or something else? It's difficult to suggest anything further without details of what exactly you're trying to do. It sounds like the request for payment isn't even reaching the card issuer. Who's in the middle?

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Are you using Apple Pay, or something else? It's difficult to suggest anything further without details of what exactly you're trying to do. It sounds like the request for payment isn't even reaching the card issuer. Who's in the middle?
Agree with kschendel.

FWIW, my Chase cards don't work at Lowes, through Apple Pay, but my Apple Card does work. When I spent some time looking into it, it's an error with the billing address (although the billing address looks the same to me as what is on the other cards & it matches my billing address). I never pursued it further because I can just use my Apple Card, so I'm not really sure what the solution is, and your's may be different, but if it's Apple Pay, you should be able to see the error message & that might help you figure out what is causing the decline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.