Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I find it hard to believe the Apple Store would turn away cash, but even so, unless you're a drug dealer or into racketeering who at the very least wouldn't at least have a checkcard? You do have a bank account, no?

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
Woohoooo!!! I just called my local Apple store and asked. The guy said that you WILL be able to buy an iPad with only cash but you'll only be allowed to buy 1. I feel so relieved :)

Cvstos

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
In the absolute worst case, most Apple stores are somewhere near a Target or something similar and most of those have pre-paid Master Cards available at flexible denominations. You might be able to get around that limitation with that trick.

Papajz

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Long Island, New York
visa gift cards

just buy a visa gift card, there free and then you have a visa to buy! You can recharge them too, at no extra cost. Perfect for a college student or anyone with just cash. End of story! And no this isn't a visa commercial:)

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Apple has the right to accept or reject any payment method they wish. There are no laws that state they have to sell you anything. They can utilize any payment method they want, and sell or not sell any product they want to whoever they want. The government and legal system that exists in your head is not one I would want to be affected by.

That being said, they will sell the iPad to whoever wants one, and in terms of accepting payment, they will do whatever they feel is best for them.

Its illegal. If you get this sh$t come friday just let them know you will be contacting your states attorney general.

You will be able to pay cash. It can not be refused on a retail product.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
There is nothing illegal about not accepting cash. Apple can do whatever they want in terms of payment methods for the iPad. That being said, I'm sure you could threaten your local Apple store manager (who I guarantee you has no knowledge of the US laws and legal system) and he will sell you an iPad no problem.

iPadlover123

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I just called my apple store (Los gatos) 2 times and both people said that they would only be accepting credit or debit. I also asked if I could take my cash and buy a apple gift card , and pay with that. They said the only way they would accept a payment is credit or debit, which I personally find redicules .....so no cash and no gift cards. I still want to pay in cash and I'm sure there is lots of other people who do but to be on the safe side I would take a credit or debit card so you won't get a suprise... I also called 2 other stores (valley fair and palo alto) and they both said credit or debit only...

raster

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
West
I paid cash for my 32gb ipad in Santa Rosa CA.
A Stack of $20's.
They just had to have 2 iemployees count it.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Woohoooo!!! I just called my local Apple store and asked. The guy said that you WILL be able to buy an iPad with only cash but you'll only be allowed to buy 1. I feel so relieved :)

Perhaps they want you to use a card to easier enforce the per person iPad limit?

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
I just called my apple store (Los gatos) 2 times and both people said that they would only be accepting credit or debit. I also asked if I could take my cash and buy a apple gift card , and pay with that. They said the only way they would accept a payment is credit or debit, which I personally find redicules .....so no cash and no gift cards. I still want to pay in cash and I'm sure there is lots of other people who do but to be on the safe side I would take a credit or debit card so you won't get a suprise... I also called 2 other stores (valley fair and palo alto) and they both said credit or debit only...

Thats odd. maybe we should all just go to Best Buy lol.

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
Ughhhhh!

I just called the same apple store I called earlier today and this time I was told that they will NOT be accepting cash. Make up your mind Apple!! This is ridiculous.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Just like I thought.

I would advise the non-plastic carrying iPad 3G hopefuls to pick up a pre-paid card, but the only problem doing this is that your name would not be on the card. Call ahead to make sure this payment method is accepted.

I've had a pre-paid debit for a while, so my name is on the card, so I should be good.

It really is ridiculous, but it is there product and they can do whatever they please. Sucks. :apple:

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
If Apple really wants to enforce this for whatever reason, the answer, as has been stated, is to get a prepaid Visa/MC. I really doubt any store will refuse any card with the Visa/MC logo.

If they mention the lack of name, you can say it was a gift card.

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I find it hard to believe the Apple Store would turn away cash, but even so, unless you're a drug dealer or into racketeering who at the very least wouldn't at least have a checkcard? You do have a bank account, no?

My issue was that i was buying 2 and I have a 500 daily limit on my check card. Even buying one iPad would've not worked with my check card. And my credit card has expired and the company sent out the replacement card to my old address therefore i hoax to report my card stolen, and the new one still hasn't come in yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.