Payment through Moneybookers? Buying from Craigslist. Too good to be true.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jng, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I found a listing on craigslist that was rather unbelievable: mac pro + 30" ACD for $2400. I figured it wouldn't hurt to e-mail the guy and ask whether it was already sold.

I said I wanted to do a local pickup.

He said he is in England - first red flag.

Ok, fine, can I look at the machine in town wherever it is in storage?

Apparently it's actually in storage in Albany. Hmph.

So he says it's in storage with MoneyBookers, which sounds a bit fishy to me because their website (http://www.moneybookers.com/app/) doesn't say anything about storage.

The website, however, looks official and there does seem to be buyer protection (14 day return policy).

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of Moneybookers or used them?

I haven't actually received payment instructions yet. But I'm beginning to think this whole thing sounds fishy. Definitely looks like too good to be true. I thought he was just desperate.

What do you think?

2. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

You probably won't be able to do much. They post in high quantities and can always create different email addresses. It's just best to realize that if it's not a local deal on craigslist, it's not worth it.

4. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Yeah, but I've filed an FTC complaint against Moneybookers since the scammers like to used them.

You're right. Nothing probably will happen. I never sent any money, so that's fine. But I forwarded the FTC the raw e-mails. Maybe they can track down the people with that. Least I could do I figured.

5. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

This sounds distinctly like the paysafe scam. Stay away! :(

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This is the same as another scam that there was a thread about here a few weeks ago, the only difference was they had a different company that they were trying to use.

7. motorxrguy macrumors newbie

craigs list money bookers

Hey, Iam looking at a motorcycle that this guy posted in palm springs for 3100.00 dollars now he says the bike is in San Francisco and that i have to go through money bookers. I think it is a scam, please let me know if you have got any information. Thanks Earl www.motorxrguy@comcast.net

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

of course it is a scam. If whatever you are trying to buy, especially through craiglist, is NOT available to see in person, forget it.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. That is why I like Craigslist, I can actually go and pick up the product.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios