Paypal cancelling payments?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Dec 9, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I won something on ebay, paid right away, but it said in my paypal account after a couple days it was unclaimed. I talked to the seller and they were having problems with their account and couldn't get to the part of their account were they could accept/confirm the payment, so they told me to just cancel it, so I did. I was transferring my money from my bank account (I don't hold a balance in my paypal account).

At the time there was a pending withdrawal (transfer to paypal) in my bank account for the amount. I cancelled the transaction 36 hours ago, and it says that the cancellation was successful and complete. Now the withdrawal/transfer to paypal is posted in my bank account (the money is missing) so I figured it should be in my paypal account (buy item-->initiates sweep from my bank account through paypal and to the seller-->cancel transaction before it gets to the seller-->money reverts to my paypal account-->manually transfer it back into my bank account) but it's not showing--my paypal balance is zero, nobody's been paid, and the money is not in my bank account.

I'm assuming it's somewhere in purgatory and should be showing up in my paypal account, but when? How long does this take?

What a pain in the ass, this is why I don't bother with ebay/paypal for anything unless there's something I really want and really can't get elsewhere.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

PayPal is down atm cus of them people overloading the servers cuz peopl r annoiyd @ paypal stopping transactions to that wobsite called wikileeks.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And to think I thought they spoke proper English in the UK.

OP, there are several financial disruptions going on because of what I think roadbloc said. The transaction seems to be processing, but slowly.

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm not quite sure what is going on, I would call your bank and tell them to block all access to Paypal for a while. There was an issue over the summer I had with Paypal that ended up putting my account at negative $800.00 dollars. I raised all hell and since then vowed to never use Paypal again. My bank did a reversal and fixed the whole thing, because Paypal was at fault.

Even three months later Paypal is still trying to get me to pay for its mistake. I now have a new account so I'm not so worried about it, but I won't let my guard down.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I just had a bad case of cba with spelling when it came to that post.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Stuff like that is why I no longer use Paypal. That makes life a bit difficult at times, as there are some donation sites and stuff in the marketplace here I'd like to buy that only take Paypal.

7. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Paypal has it's problems but I've found that they usually work things out and are responsive to their customer via customer service emails or calls.

I've had to email/call once or twice and the issue was resolved.

Hope you get yours figured out.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Been using paypal since 1998 and never had a problem!

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Alright, I guess I'll have to wait it out for a week or so; now the money is showing as deducted twice from my bank account (one pending, one posted), both transactions are showing as cancelled in my paypal account, but my paypal balance is still zero; the money as of yet is unaccounted for anywhere so I guess I need to wait a while longer.

Here's something really peculiar--my funding source for paypal purchases is my bank account, and my credit card is a backup funding source. I just checked my credit card online and lo and behold there are two $1 pending paypal authorizations, and one $1 pending ebay authorization. WTF? They shouldn't have their hands anywhere near my credit card if my primary funding source is the bank account?

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

For people TRULY PARANOID about paypal...

Connect it to a specific PP only bank account.

Open another account with your bank, and only point PP to that.

Any issue people have with paypal is when they take money from your bank account because, well, you "owe" or whatever they think. They cant take money from nothing, so if you move your PP money you received from payments immediately to the connected bank account, and then out of that bank account to your "everyday" account, your set should you be paranoid of them coming after your precious money.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

never had a problem with PayPal ... and I find their customer service to be excellent ... transferring money takes @ a week.

call them ... they are really helpful on the phone.

good luck

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've done hundreds of paypal transactions (ebay sales and purchases) since 2002 and never once had a problem.

13. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

This is what I had set up. Though I didn't authorize it at the time and they kept trying to take money out of an account that had nothing in it. Well, banks don't really like that very much so it was overdraft fee after overdraft fee. No matter how many times I called Paypal to correct the problem, they would still keep trying to pull from the same account like beating a dead horse.

14. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Why do they have their hands in my credit card when it's the backup funding source and I have plenty of money in my bank account (which they took)?