PayPal Dispute HELP! Buyer trying to get Refund...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sukanas, Jun 22, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i sold a mac mini online and it's taking forever to get there.

i was just wondering how much power he had in terms of getting his refund. if the mac mini DOES get there, how will Paypal know he doesn't have it and what if he demands his money back?? how will i be sure to get my mac mini back if i give him his money back?
    i shipped it VIA USPS and only have the delivery confirmation number...

sorry if details weren't explained but if im vague on something, please let me know

thanks

p.s. my status is verified (6) and i have 36 100% positive feedback on ebay... if that helps in any way

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Personally if I sent something and got a delivery confirmation and signed delivery, and the person still asked for their money back.

And it got pulled out of my account.

That only leaves me with filing a police report with the local online fraud unit, and also postal fraud with the USPS.

---

But somebody likely will hopefully help it from getting to the point of a total loss.

3. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

what if the buyer forcefully returns the shipment back to the return address.... o_o

as if he "forcefully" returned it even though theres nothing on my listing that said i would accept returns.

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I had PayPal pull something like that one me years ago. They tried to collect the money back from me but I had none in my account. They then sent me to a collection agency and I wrote the agency showing proof that I was not at fault and that PayPal was in breach of their contract. The collection agency dropped the collection and PayPal never got their money. I'm no longer able to use PayPal as they have blacklisted my SS number but I wouldn't want to use them ever again anyways. PayPal pretty much sucks IMO.

5. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

so would paypal put favor in the buyer and likely try to pull money from my account?

and what would paypal want from the buyer that would convince them to pull money out of my account besides a rambling argument...?

and if i were to take it to the extreme and get rid of my account like you did
    should i just "remove" my bank account that is wired to my paypal?

6. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

according to my experience if you have a proof of delivery confirmation, that the item is "DELIVERED" according to USPS tracking, then the buyer won't get a refund.

Provide the delivery confirmation number to the online dispute in paypal and I think it should be fine.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah, as long as you can prove the item was delivered to the buyer's verified address you should be covered under the seller protection policy. I actually think my case is what changed the entire protection policy as it stands today haha.

Basically, the buyer's account was compromised and a fake address was sent to me under his account. When the buyer realized this, he immediately filed against me and PayPal put a negative balance on my account. At that time, I immediately removed my bank account and suspended my account.

At the time, PayPal's contract did not require the buyer to ship to a verified address. Thankfully, I printed the contract on the day this all started. Within a few days, PayPal had updated their terms to state all items had to be shipped to a verified address to be covered. At that point, that was all they would say to me. I told them it would be a cold day in hell before I paid them when I upheld my end of the contract as it stood on the day of the transaction.

It was at that point they sent me to the collection agency. Once the agency took one look at PayPal's terms that were in place at the time of my transaction, they dropped the collection deeming it wrongful on PayPal's behalf. With nothing left to do, PayPal suspended my account indefinitely and that is where it stands today... almost four years later.

The only hard part about it is I sometimes have issues selling items on ebay or even in the MR Marketplace when I tell people I cannot use PayPal.

8. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I hope you got signature confirmation too. Paypal requires a signature for items over $250 to be covered by the seller protection thing.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Damn, that's a ridiculous amount of BS I'm hearing about Paypal and internet transactions in general; kinda makes my blood boil just hearing about it.

Good luck settling that dispute =\, but yeah, if something to this degree happened ....

...I'd do the same and file a police report :p.

10. macintosh tech macrumors member

1. Hope you got signature confirmation (required for items over $250)

2. Refuse delivery if he attempts to return it

3. I guarantee it will not let you remove your bank account. I have been trying to take old bank accounts and credit cards off for the last year + and I get the message, "You cannot remove X while authorizations are pending." I have nothing going, haven't even used it in a few months and still get this message.

I think you should try to explain the situation a bit more clearly. That way we can assist you better.