Paypal ok for selling my old MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelhed217, Mar 3, 2011.

1. shelhed217 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have someone locally who wants to buy my old MBP, are there any issues with accepting this frOm someone responding to a craigslist ad?
    Tia

2. htc fan macrumors 6502

Yes, be caution when accepting paypal payments, which could be fake paypal payment (phishing), and if it's local ask for cash payment, which is always safest bet. Good luck

3. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

im confused as to what your intentions are...

If you met them on craigslist you should meet them locally and deal cash/ or money order.

if they are contacting you over craigslist and want to have u ship it to them far away (especially over seas) it is probably a paypal scam.

google paypal scams to learn how they work and what to look out for.

i just recently sold a brand new 12" 2010 mbp and the buyer is trying to screw me for money after they opened it and used it once they realized the 2011 models came out.

4. kgallag1 macrumors member

paypal for selling a macbook pro

Locally might be ok for paypal, but honestly, if the guy is local, have him obtain either cash or a certified cheque/money order. If he can meet face to face, he certainly can go to the local bank and obtain a money order. If he wants some sort of security, maybe suggest you writing a receipt or doing the warranty/serial number transfer together (you basically email the form to Apple).

5. dinostars macrumors member

If they file an item not received dispute with PayPal and you are unable to provide a tracking number + online signature (because I'm assuming this transaction is more than $250 USD), they will get their money back.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For local transactions take cash only IMO. And I usually meet at a bank so they can check the bills and it's a more secure location. (Plus you won't be carrying a lot of money around at a time)

7. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They are concerned because they wanted to put it on a credit card, it's not being shipped but they don't have the cash. I wasn't sure if I need to have them send the payment and then wait a little for it to clear or what.

8. htc fan macrumors 6502

ask for the payment to be done as gift then it's totally safe for you. Still take caution.

9. dinostars macrumors member

If it's not being shipped and he files a claim, you will most likely lose and he will be refunded by PayPal.

EDIT: htc fan is right though about having him send it as gift.

10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

This should be a pretty hugely show-stoppingly enormous red flag.