Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, I just sold my 2010 mbp. Just wanted you opinions on paypal really.
The buyer is based in Italy and I'm in the UK. They paid the full amount but I got an email from paypal saying the funds won't be released until I supply them with shipping details? I have sold to international buyers a few times over eBay an such an never had anything like this before. It's set alarm bells off for me an im thinking of canceling. Just wondered if anyone has had this before an it's legit? Or if it's just a scammer trying to get a free mbp.
Part of me thinks its normal as surely when I provide paypal with the shipping info it proves that the item was sent?
I'm really torn at the moment so your opinions are greatly appreciated.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You provide the tracking number and then when PayPal confirms delivery, your money is released.

This is why I don't do international shipments; tracking doesn't always work.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm just worried that if I send it before the funds have cleared they can just claim they never received it an get their money back.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
There are more than enough people in the UK to sell it to, so I'm not sure anything - to me - would be worth the hassle of worrying about a scam, shipping it to another country, etc.

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK

Dont do it, dont sell abroad unless the buyer has a verified paypal address.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm just worried that if I send it before the funds have cleared they can just claim they never received it an get their money back.

They can do that even if the funds have cleared and PayPal will come after you with a big stick (AKA collection agency) if they can't get the money back off you.

That's happened to me a few times when selling what eBay consider "high risk" items (such as iPhones). Effectively, PayPal hold the funds in escrow and release them either when the buyer leaves positive feedback or delivery is confirmed.
It's nothing to do with it going abroad (I've only ever sold to people in the UK) and is designed to give the buyer some protection

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone. It all sounds a tad to risky for my liking so I think I will hold out for a face to face sale.
The address was confirmed with paypal but was a completely different name than the person I was talking to. The guys name was Charles which really doesn't strike me as very Italian sounding, at first I possibly thought he may be an ex-pat but the correspondence is all in broken English. Think I'll avoid, which is a shame really.

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
Certain items are considered "high risk" for fraud and whatnot and paypal holds the money until they can verify the item was delivered. Computers, cell phones etc can trigger this hold. There really isn't much to worry about as long as you protect yourself, but it sucks that you sold something, sent something and you still dont have the money.

Its stuff like this that made me stop selling on ebay and using paypal. They claim to be "safe" for doing transactions, but in the end the only safe way to sell stuff is face to face. Id rather lose a few dollars on craigslist then lose it all to some fraudulent buyer using paypal.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
How did you find the buyer? Did the buyer contact you from a Craigslist? Was the letter or offer legit? Why did they want it shipped to Italy? Shipping internationally is simply too risky to take the chance.

Scammers often say things like "is the item still available?" without mentioning what the item is, a sure sign of scam. Do they say "currently in Italy due to job"?

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011

old-wiz said:
How did you find the buyer? Did the buyer contact you from a Craigslist? Was the letter or offer legit? Why did they want it shipped to Italy? Shipping internationally is simply too risky to take the chance.

Scammers often say things like "is the item still available?" without mentioning what the item is, a sure sign of scam. Do they say "currently in Italy due to job"?

It was posted on a site called gumtree. As soon as I said I would like a phone number to contact them personally he said he was in Italy for work. He also didn't mention the mbp, like you said, he just inquired about the item.
I also logged into paypal an it had no record of the transaction. Was quite a poor attempt at scamming really I suppose lol.

I was pretty much certain it probably was a scam but i was getting a good price for it so I lived in hope lol.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
I don't recommend you to use paypal this is a fraudulent company they don't care about you.

Last month I have lost $1900 in a transaction with paypal.

Always use secure payments like western union, moneygram, wire transfer/bank transfer, all of tease are 10000000 times better than paypal (+ you don't have to pay the paypal huge fees)

http://www.paypalscam.com/
http://www.paypalsucks.com/
http://www.screw-paypal.com/
http://paypalsucks.org/
http://www.paypalsucks.net/
http://www.paypalwarning.com/
http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
i really didnt have a clue that paypal had such problems i really thought it was quite safe to use with its payent protection.
I heard that this site has a place to sell macs? i had a look but i cant find it for the life of me.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks, that's an a lot of posts lol. To save me spamming the boards with useless posts I think I'll stick with eBay lol.

I have given up on paypal completely. So I'm looking at other methods of payment, is a bank transfer safer?
By safer I mean can they claim their money back like they can with paypal?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I don't recommend you to use paypal this is a fraudulent company they don't care about you.

Last month I have lost $1900 in a transaction with paypal.

Always use secure payments like western union, moneygram, wire transfer/bank transfer, all of tease are 10000000 times better than paypal (+ you don't have to pay the paypal huge fees)

Paypal the company is not a scam ... they are owned by Ebay. How you lost $1900 is probably your own fault ... you likely fell victim to a scammer using paypal to scam people

the links you posted is likely part of the problem ... I would not trust sites such as the ones you have posted

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
Avoid international transactions. As another poster says above - there are so many people in the UK that will give you the same money for it.

I'd cancel.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Paypal the company is not a scam ... they are owned by Ebay. How you lost $1900 is probably your own fault ... you likely fell victim to a scammer using paypal to scam people

the links you posted is likely part of the problem ... I would not trust sites such as the ones you have posted

Anyone that uses Western Union for an overseas transaction is an idiot. It is fine if you are receiving the money....but if you are the one sending it then you have absolutely zero protection and need your head examined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.