Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hi. I came across a pretty good deal for a new rMBP from a person which I contacted through Ebay. (Machine was offer on auction, but it did not got sold) The machine is factory sealed and serial number seems legit, the seller has a pretty good reputation in Ebay (but the transaction would not occur on Ebay)

I'm being offered to conduct the transaction through Paypal ($2k). I have access to his contact information based on the invoice, but wonder if anyone here have done such transaction before and what protection I would get in case something goes wrong.

Thanks

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Hi. I came across a pretty good deal for a new rMBP from a person which I contacted through Ebay. (Machine was offer on auction, but it did not got sold) The machine is factory sealed and serial number seems legit, the seller has a pretty good reputation in Ebay (but the transaction would not occur on Ebay)

I'm being offered to conduct the transaction through Paypal ($2k). I have access to his contact information based on the invoice, but wonder if anyone here have done such transaction before and what protection I would get in case something goes wrong.

Thanks

Careful, sounds like a scam. And scammers are plentiful on Ebay. If it is indeed a good deal, there is no way that it would not sell on Ebay.

The fact that this guy does not want to deal through Ebay is another huge red-flag.

I believe PayPal would protect the buyer, but if it does turn out to be a scam, it will bring you much head-ache, time, and effort as you work with PayPal to try to make your case - and there is no guarantee that PayPal will "protect" you.

Fairfax

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Deep Web
If something goes wrong all you have to do is report the item as significantly not as described, paypal will rule in your favor. You can search eBay forums, sellers routinely complain about how paypal is one sided when it comes to disputes between sellers and buyers. So all you will need to do is file a dispute, send the item back and get signature confirmation and you're protected.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for your advise. We ended up doing the transaction through Ebay for a slightly higher price (max out 13" Haswell 2.8/16/1TB, $2400 shipped), which is still almost $300 less than the best I could do through Educational discount + tax ($2684), so I'm happy with the deal, plus don't have to wait for the delay in delivery due to the 16GB RAM shortage by Apple on the 13"

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
If something goes wrong all you have to do is report the item as significantly not as described, paypal will rule in your favor. You can search eBay forums, sellers routinely complain about how paypal is one sided when it comes to disputes between sellers and buyers. So all you will need to do is file a dispute, send the item back and get signature confirmation and you're protected.

Good luck if this is a scam !

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
The reason sellers want to sell directly instead of through eBay is because eBay skims 10% off the top, which is quite a bit on high value items. As far as likelihood of getting scammed, it's about the same. That is to say, a too good to be true transaction will be just as difficult to refund if done through eBay.

As for ruling in buyer's favour in case of a dispute, the thing is, Paypal may decide in your favour, but if the seller already withdrew the money into their bank account, Paypal is not going to take a loss for you. They will just owe you $2400, forever. I would not buy anything from a private seller online (that includes everyone on eBay), if the cost is too high for me to write off in case of a scam. I have been burned once before for a couple hundred dollars, and it was unpleasant enough. I will still buy items worth up to a few hundred dollars, depending on perceived risk, but $2K would have been too much to gamble for me personally.

It's kind of like every time you go outside, there is a non-zero chance that you'll get hit by a car and killed. You can take precautions, but it's never 100% safe. Most people are okay with that risk, otherwise it's impossible to do much in life. But then there is a risk of getting hit by a car if you try to cross a freeway by foot. Most people would not take a chance on that one.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for your advise. We ended up doing the transaction through Ebay for a slightly higher price (max out 13" Haswell 2.8/16/1TB, $2400 shipped), which is still almost $300 less than the best I could do through Educational discount + tax ($2684), so I'm happy with the deal, plus don't have to wait for the delay in delivery due to the 16GB RAM shortage by Apple on the 13"

I hope it works out for you. This 16GB RAM shortage is killing me. Plus, you got it cheaper.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Just got today my new Haswell rMBP 2.8/16/1TB. Sealed box, perfect transaction! The machine came with 1 cycle in the battery and got the A18 screen (my 2012 13" rMBP has the A14 screen instead)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.