PayPal seller question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to take freelance writing jobs from out-of-state businesses, and I figure PayPal is the easiest way to get paid reliably. Problem is:

1. I don't have a "menu" of items on my website to shop for and order -- I customize deals with people individually. So there's no opportunity for an "Order Now" button or shopping cart.

2. The Email Payments option would be perfect for me -- except it's not Mac-compatible. :mad:

So if I want someone to pay via PayPal, what are my remaining options?

Thanks. :)

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um, you have a paypal account?

Sign in.

At the top is "Request Money"

The rest is self explanatory.

When it comes to sending money for non-ebay stuff, you just dont select "auction" under the type of payment, you put services, or goods-other.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You might be better off using another service as Paypal's customer service sucks.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Dont be swayed by those who have had bad experiences in the past.

if YOU feel this is the best way to get paid, go for it.

ive never had a problem, but thats not to say they dont occur.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, it's difficult to know whether to post bad experiences because if lots of people agree that the service is rubbish then you know to avoid them. If it's only one person (as seemingly in this case) you should just ignore the poster who whines about customer service ;).

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't set up the account yet, just because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into. I guess I'll just set it up then test-drive it. If I hate it, I'll close it down.

Main reason I chose PayPal for this situation is because people seem to know what it is when I mention it, so I don't have to persuade them to try some lesser-known setup.

I've heard some horror stories about PayPal, yes. But even a rickety form of protection would make me feel better than just hoping a check doesn't bounce or prove counterfeit or never show up, etc.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, if you are just accepting credit card payments it might not matter so much, though it is a fair point. You could also try Google Checkout (it's a trustworthy name too), though according to ArsTechnica they are worse than Paypal atm so YMMV.